Car Driving Safety Tips

/ Car Driving Safety Tips #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
1. Do not get upset when you encounter a hostile driver.
2. Beware of falling asleep at the wheel
3. Keep your mind as well as your eyes exclusively on driving.
4. While driving, don't put on makeup, text message, chat on the cell phone, or eat a meal.
5. Don't drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
6. Wear your seat belts. This cannot be emphasized enough.
7. Adjust your speed to coincide with weather and traffic conditions.
8. Beware of falling asleep at the wheel.
9. Avoid the far left lane except when you need to pass another car
10.Drivers who like to drive fast usually remain in this lane; insurance company representatives call it the 'death lane.

Driving Safety Driving for Teenagers - TractorByNet.com

You two need to get together due to your interest in safety.

/ Car Driving Safety Tips #2  
Good information. As a police officer, a friend had investigated many severe wrecks resulting in fatalities. He advised me when making a left turn waiting for oncoming traffic to pass, to keep my wheels pointed straight and not turned left. Why? Because if a car is rear ended the turned wheels will direct your car into the oncoming traffic.

/ Car Driving Safety Tips #4  
Good information. As a police officer, a friend had investigated many severe wrecks resulting in fatalities. He advised me when making a left turn waiting for oncoming traffic to pass, to keep my wheels pointed straight and not turned left. Why? Because if a car is rear ended the turned wheels will direct your car into the oncoming traffic.

This happened to a friend, at the redlight. He never did totally recover from it. Told ME," I did not do anything wrong, just did not think about turning the wheels". He was pushed head-on with a big truck, in a split second.

/ Car Driving Safety Tips #5  

Yep, that's very good advice. And I was taught many years ago to always stop at a stop sign, traffic light, etc. far enough back that you can see where the rear wheel rubber of the vehicle in front of you meets the pavement. If you get rear ended, at least you don't hit the car in front of you. And if the car in front of your should stall, or the driver get out, you can go around that car without backing up.

/ Car Driving Safety Tips #6  
If you have to pull off the road on the right, turn the wheels to the right. Same idea as the left turn. If the car gets hit from behind, the car goes further off the road and not ONTO the road.

Reverse if you are in an emergency lane on the left side of the road.

Keep an eye on the traffic behind you, especially at night. If you are off the road, you are likely to have your hazard lights flashing. A driver's attention is drawn to flashing lights, Duh, which is why we have them, :D, but a drunk will fixate on those lights, and then drive right into a parked car.

Now a days you have to watch not only from the drunks but people playing on the phone, eating, putting on make up, twiddling with the radio, talking to a passenger, yelling at kids, etc. :laughing:

Watch behind you. ;)

Later,
Dan

/ Car Driving Safety Tips #7  
good list just not good enough PHONE Phone Phone

/ Car Driving Safety Tips #8  
Keep an eye on the traffic behind you, especially at night. If you are off the road, you are likely to have your hazard lights flashing. A driver's attention is drawn to flashing lights, Duh, which is why we have them, :D, but a drunk will fixate on those lights, and then drive right into a parked car.

There were a couple of studies done 25-30 years ago by the California Highway Patrol and the Federal Government that concluded you'd be safer on the shoulder of the road with NO lights on than having any red lights showing to the read. But it just kind of goes against the grain for most of us.

I remember that the CHP experimented with cars on the shoulder of the road with different colored lights. Of course the purpose was for light bars on police vehicles. They parked cars on the shoulder of multi-lane highways with different color lights flashing. The conclusions were basically that amber caused more drivers to move away from the parked car than any other color, believed to be because amber lights mean "danger" or "caution" to most drivers. Red lights attracted drivers because drivers usually aim right at a red light, but stop before they get to it. Drunks aim at red lights, too, but don't get stopped in time.

/ Car Driving Safety Tips #9  
There were a couple of studies done 25-30 years ago by the California Highway Patrol and the Federal Government that concluded you'd be safer on the shoulder of the road with NO lights on than having any red lights showing to the read. But it just kind of goes against the grain for most of us.

I remember that the CHP experimented with cars on the shoulder of the road with different colored lights. Of course the purpose was for light bars on police vehicles. They parked cars on the shoulder of multi-lane highways with different color lights flashing. The conclusions were basically that amber caused more drivers to move away from the parked car than any other color, believed to be because amber lights mean "danger" or "caution" to most drivers. Red lights attracted drivers because drivers usually aim right at a red light, but stop before they get to it. Drunks aim at red lights, too, but don't get stopped in time.

Yep, around here we have amber lights on the back of our fire trucks...

/ Car Driving Safety Tips #10  
All good points,, also
Turn on headlights to low beam ,while driving while raining, snowing or in fog..
don't use day time running lights and don't depend on your automatic lights turning on under these conditions.
Don't use cruise control while driving in rain or on snowy road ... People do and they wonder why they loose control of there vehicle