Another mower rollover death

/ Another mower rollover death #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
Sadly, a 62 yr old gentleman lost his life simply mowing his lawn. The article doesn't state what kind of mower it was, but to have had a ROPS it must have been a subcompact tractor with a belly mower, or maybe ZTR mower with a ROPS. Just a guess but, whatever he was operating, apparently he didn't have the seatbelt fastened. I feel for his family, his death could probably have been prevented simply by fastening the seatbelt.

DUNCAN, S.C. (AP) -- A Duncan man has died after he was trapped under a riding lawn mower.
Spartanburg County officials say 62-year-old Wayne Jerden Blackwell was found dead under the roll bar of a mower late Saturday morning.
The sheriff's report says the man's son went to his father's home after he didn't answer a phone call and found the man unresponsive in a ditch.
The Herald-Journal of Spartanburg reports that a sheriff's report says there was no sign of foul play.
Tire tracks indicated Blackwell was mowing the lawn on a sloped part of his property.

Man Found Dead Under Lawn Mower | wltx.com

After a little searching, I did find an article with a little bit more info:
Duncan man, 62, found dead under riding lawn mower in yard

From staff reports

Published: Monday, June 27, 2011 at 3:15 a.m.

Last Modified: Monday, June 27, 2011 at 12:14 a.m.

A Duncan man died Saturday after being trapped under a riding lawn mower.

Wayne Jerdan Blackwell, 62, of 163 Powder Springs Drive, was found dead underneath the roll bar attached to the mower at around 9:30 a.m.
According to a Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office incident report, Blackwell's son, Dwayne, arrived at the scene and called 911 for assistance after discovering his father lying in a ditch unresponsive.
Dwayne Blackwell, who lives in Greer, had attempted to contact his father earlier and got no answer. He drove to the residence where he heard the mower running, the report stated.
Dwayne Blackwell didn't see the mower initially but walked toward the direction of the sound and found his father lying on his left side with the roll bar across his right hip and abdomen.
There appeared to be no foul play involved in the incident, the report stated.
Tire tracks indicated that Blackwell was mowing the lawn on a portion of his property that was on an incline. The mower was found on its left side, in a ditch with Blackwell underneath it, according to the report.

All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20...62-found-dead-under-riding-lawn-mower-in-yard

Last edited:
   / Another mower rollover death #3  
So sad, but a reminder to all of us to be careful.

My father in law rolled his lawn mowers several times and on all but one occasion jumped free, no ROPS. One time however, he was trapped under it for several hours. Fortunately he wasn't seriously injured.

/ Another mower rollover death #4  
So sad, but a reminder to all of us to be careful.

My father in law rolled his lawn mowers several times and on all but one occasion jumped free, no ROPS. One time however, he was trapped under it for several hours. Fortunately he wasn't seriously injured.

It's very sad to be reading these type of news articles, but do sometimes wonder what people are thinking :confused: Of course accidents will happen, but for TrippleR's father in law to have rolled his mower several times, he clearly should not be operating them in the first place. Any professional owner operator will tell you that to roll a machine of any kind is to have done your job badly.... it happens but definately should not happen that frequently.

I hope none of us have to one day read a story like this about one of our family members - especially as on this forum most people will give you sound advice about how to stay safe.

/ Another mower rollover death #5  
It's very sad to be reading these type of news articles, but do sometimes wonder what people are thinking :confused: Of course accidents will happen, but for TrippleR's father in law to have rolled his mower several times, he clearly should not be operating them in the first place. Any professional owner operator will tell you that to roll a machine of any kind is to have done your job badly.... it happens but definitely should not happen that frequently.

I hope none of us have to one day read a story like this about one of our family members - especially as on this forum most people will give you sound advice about how to stay safe.

I can see your point, but only to some extent. Since he was a grown man who owned his property, equipment and was willing to take the risks while not endangering others, how and when he operated his own mower was his business. I would have a serious problem with anyone telling me what I could or couldn't do on my own property with my own equipment.

Both my father and father in law scared the snot out of me the way they operated equipment, but both were much better than most. Some just tend to be willing to push the envelope more than others and are willing to accept the consequences.

Coincidentally my father in law died in his tractor, but it was on flat ground, in a cab from a heart attack.

/ Another mower rollover death #6  
Looks like I better start using my seatbelt.

/ Another mower rollover death #7  
Both my father and father in law scared the snot out of me the way they operated equipment, but both were much better than most. Some just tend to be willing to push the envelope more than others and are willing to accept the consequences.

Sorry TrippleR - I didn't mean any disrespect. However I still maintain that there is a big difference between pushing the envelope and being unsafe - and if your father in law rolled his tractor several times that definately falls within the second category. He may well have been a very good driver - but definately not an operator as he clearly did not learn the limitations.

I know accidents do happen, but to roll any machine (unless of course the ground gives way) means that you are pushing it too far - I know because I have done it myself. I still push the envelope on a daily basis (that is why our customers choose us) but have learnt the hard (and expensive) way when to say "no"!

I do totally agree with you though that any man should be allowed to do whatever he wants on his own land - even if it is unsafe! Your father in law clearly knew the risks so ultimately it is not for me or anybody else to say he shouldn't do it, just that to do so is unwise. Also I would like to say that I hope I go the same way - in the tractor seat :thumbsup:

/ Another mower rollover death #8  
Sorry TrippleR - I didn't mean any disrespect. However I still maintain that there is a big difference between pushing the envelope and being unsafe - and if your father in law rolled his tractor several times that definitely falls within the second category. He may well have been a very good driver - but definitely not an operator as he clearly did not learn the limitations.

I know accidents do happen, but to roll any machine (unless of course the ground gives way) means that you are pushing it too far - I know because I have done it myself. I still push the envelope on a daily basis (that is why our customers choose us) but have learnt the hard (and expensive) way when to say "no"!

I do totally agree with you though that any man should be allowed to do whatever he wants on his own land - even if it is unsafe! Your father in law clearly knew the risks so ultimately it is not for me or anybody else to say he shouldn't do it, just that to do so is unwise. Also I would like to say that I hope I go the same way - in the tractor seat :thumbsup:

Your OP did p*** me off a bit as my FIL was my best friend and I admired him greatly, but I really can't argue with your statements here.

I will add a qualifier though, in over 40 years operating big rigs and transporting hazardous material and in all his years operating tractors, he never rolled or crashed one, but put him on a lawnmower and all bets were off. He simply didn't care if he rolled one or not; took a hammer and banged them out and took off again. Everyone in the family describes him as the luckiest man we ever knew.

Yeah, I hope I go like he did, doing something he loved.:thumbsup:

/ Another mower rollover death #9  
I will add a qualifier though, in over 40 years operating big rigs and transporting hazardous material and in all his years operating tractors, he never rolled or crashed one, but put him on a lawnmower and all bets were off. He simply didn't care if he rolled one or not; took a hammer and banged them out and took off again. Everyone in the family describes him as the luckiest man we ever knew.

He sounds like a true worker of the old school - I can't argue with that at all as it's men like your FIL who taught us everything we know :thumbsup: