Ford 4600 bush hog on slope

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #11  
Difinitely put the seat belt back on, and use it. I would be suprised if tires were not already loaded, unless they had been changed, since it was a MODT tractor but load the tires if not. Windshield washer fluid, antifreaze, rim gaurd what ever - even straight water if you remember to dump the water before winter freeze.

The main thing is to be safe. If your not comfortable operating at a certain side angle, don't push it. When angle gets too steep, change your mode of operation and mow up and down hill. Or mow down hill and drive up "empty", not mowing but with mower trailing on the ground. I didn't look at you pics of the tractor close, but add front weights if not already on there.

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope
There are 3 front weights. I am not sure how much they weigh. I will get a seat belt and have the tires filled(they have had air in them since I bought it in 91). I will probably not take this past 15 as I get very nervous, and there is no grass worth tipping over. I have seen them mow much steeper but until I get more experience on slopes and learn my new farm, I am going to be extra careful.

Thanks for all the input!!! Keep it coming.

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #13  
There are 3 front weights. I am not sure how much they weigh. I will get a seat belt and have the tires filled(they have had air in them since I bought it in 91). I will probably not take this past 15 as I get very nervous, and there is no grass worth tipping over. I have seen them mow much steeper but until I get more experience on slopes and learn my new farm, I am going to be extra careful.

Thanks for all the input!!! Keep it coming.

Eric just remember if you are getting in trouble, to steer downhill, and it isnt the continous slope that will get you, it is the stupid rock on the high side, or the hole on the low side that will get you. Watch out go slow and if it feels really bad, it probably is. You will get braver, but never get complacent.

James K0UA

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #14  
Not only is it a ROPS it is also a FOPS (Falling Object Protection System). It is identical to the one I had on my old Long 2360. and yes that tractor would probably scare the heck out of you before it actually even attempted to roll. It is set up pretty wide, and I have seen Mo DOT mow slopes with them that scare me to death just to look at them let alone mow them. I would say you are set up pretty good for mowing.

James K0UA

Same here, I wouldn't even think of mowing what MODOT driver mow with their 2WD tractors. I am seeing some 4WD, but mostly 2WD.

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #15  
i didn't see a pic of the front.. but if pillow weights thay are likely 80#.. if the newer suitcase.. could be 50+ depending on design.

I added front wheel weights to my 4600, and laoded the fronts with rv antifreeze. was cheap and available. loading the rears will be good too. due to their size and capacity in gallons.. you can get alot of weight even with just water / rv antifreeze.

soundguy

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope
Here is a picture of the front weights. I am not sure what type they are or what they weigh? Anyone hazard a guess?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG00342.jpg
    IMG00342.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 979
   / Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #17  
Looks like those weights could have been made for use on a skidsteer, or some other similar type of equipment. You just don't see many tractors with weights like that on the front, or at least I haven't.

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #18  
standard old style ford pillow (slab ) weights.. should be 80# segments or so.

C5NN3A370B WEIGHT Weight, Slab, Approximately 80 Lbs. each, Except 3550, No Longer Serviced NHNA., Start Year: 01/01/1965

the hd bolster of the 4000/5000/7000 mounted them ( maybee more models ).

soundguy

Attachments

• slabweights.gif
    slabweights.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 540
   / Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #19  
The main thing is to be safe. If your not comfortable operating at a certain side angle, don't push it. When angle gets too steep, change your mode of operation and mow up and down hill. Or mow down hill and drive up "empty", not mowing but with mower trailing on the ground.
I can't recommend mowing down a hill with a 2 wheel drive tractor, there's a risk of it running away. This is where the rear tires break traction and you start sliding down the hill with no manner of stopping. The slightest turn of the steering wheel will send you into an uncontrolled skid that could spell disaster. I've experienced this once and lived to tell about it, it will never happen to me again!!

One trick I use is to mow a hill at a diagonal, the side loads aren't as severe as mowing across the same hill.

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #20  
Brings to mind another point, don't mow wet hillsides.