Ford 4600 bush hog on slope

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope
Is 3X80 standard for weight on the front for bush hogging?

That is a good point not to mow when it is wet.

I will try the diagonal method it sounds logical.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. It will help keep me from rolling.

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #22  
the number of weights you need is semi determined by what machine you have ( some machines are limited to x amount of weight on their front hanger ), and otherwise you need to ballance or offset whatever you have in the rear.

my ford 5000 has (4) 80' pillow weights up front, plus (2) 50# suitcase weights up there. i need that to offset my 10' 3pt mower.

soundguy

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #24  
I'm looking for a ROPS/FOPS canopy for our Ford 4600. My dad picked this tractor up a few years ago for mowing and general utility and maintenance work around the farm which is all in the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP). I think it had been used for mucking out a dairy barn before he bought it.

I've started farming an adjoining 165 acres that came out of the CRP. We use our old D2 & D4 cats for all of the tillage work, but they don't have PTO or hydraulics so one day a year I need the 4600 to run the urea spreader, and I don't want to run it this year without ROPS. I'm looking for a nice used ROPS/FOPS canopy like the one on Eric's machine (07-10-2011, 10:09 PM posting) from a salvage yard. Does anybody have any leads in the west or northwest US.

Here is a photo of the 4600 near the grain bins, with the terrain backdrop.
2006_10010097.JPG

This is a GPS track of my urea application last spring imported into google earth.
urea_application_track.jpg

Thanks,

Joe

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #25  
they are rare but out there. I got a rops for my 4600 at the local auction.. got one for my 5000 as well. took years of looking....

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #26  
they are rare but out there. I got a rops for my 4600 at the local auction.. got one for my 5000 as well. took years of looking....

Guess I needed to start looking a couple of years ago since I now need to find, buy, ship and install it in 5-6 weeks. I'll either have a stroke of beginners luck, or end up paying for new. My record would suggest the later is more likely.

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #27  
good luck. I couldn't find any for some time. new or used!

I did find some used..that went for astronomical money thus outbid me.. etc.

check ebay, craigslist..local for sle listings.. etc

do check wengers of pa. good possibility of finding a set there.. you will pay a hefty fee .. but they can arrange shipping as well.

if you need it now, and are willing to pay.. they may be your only option unless the beginners luclk operates for you.

best of luck!

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #28  
I found one. I googled "used tractor parts ford" and emailed a request to about a dozen salvage yards. I got a hit from BrokenTractor.com in Baton Rouge, LA.
They offered this ROPS/FOPS canopy for $350, plus $190 shipping to the industrial area of Salt Lake City where I work. Shipping to the farm in Idaho would have been a bit more. I figured I'd have it shipped to the city and have a local boat trailer fab and powder coating shop work it over.
Ford4600RB.JPG

You'll note the fenders had been welded on. They had a guy spend 2 days with a grinder carefully removing them. Here's what it looked like when it arrived in SLC.
before_right_top.jpg

before_left_top.jpg

before_front.jpg

Cosmetically it was in pretty sorry shape. Also, two of the 3/4-10 mounting bolts were broken off in the mounting base plate. I bought a 3/4-10 tap for about $34 and 10 3/4-10 x 8" yellow zinc plated grade 8 cap screws (2 extras) for $3.88 each, and 50 flat washers in case I needed spacers ($0.11 ea) and lock washers. So the tap and hardware added up to about $80.

The boat trailer shop charged $75 to sandblast, $85 to powder coat and $200 for "fabrication". The fabrication involved cutting off the horribly-welded angle iron braces on the two sides and across the back and welding on some nice 2x3 steel tube in the same locations. The original welding of the add-on braces was truly atrocious. Much much worse than my very first try welding in 8th grade metal shop. They also cut off the old rusty expanded metal screen on the back and put a new one on. That much real fabrication was $100, the other $100 "fabrication' was extracting the broken bolts and clearing the threads with the tap I provided. So the refurbishment cost $10 more than the original purchase price. So my delivered and refurbished cost for the ROPS canopy was $900, plus the ~$80 in hardware and the tap.

Here is a photo as it left town for the farm in the truck with pallet forks and pallet fork frame going on the tractor in place of a bucket for moving seed pallets around.
painted_ROPS_canopy.jpg

We had a good crew to install it. We lifted it off with the loader (before removing the bucket) and put it in "feet" out. We then backed the truck and tractor back to back and tipped it up into place. We put a couple of bolts so it couldn't slip back while tipping up. Once it was steady we bolted it down securely and put the fenders on. It is a nice addition to the tractor, along with the new flip up seat, seat belt, and a new fuel shut off knob.

ROPS_front_close.jpg

rear_view.jpg

front_w_truck.jpg

The main motivation for all of this works was that I planned to use it to pull the 4 ton fertilizer cart over some uncomfortably steep terrain. Today was my time window to do that work as I have business travel later in the week and want to plant at the end of next week. The weather voted otherwise. We probably received 1" of rain since Sat. So I'll pay the coop an extra $660 to apply the fertilizer for me using their big air spreader truck.

It may represent a large % of the value of that old tractor, but if it is every needed and saves a life or serious injury it will be the best money ever spent. This isn't the sort of thing you can decide based on value of the tractor.

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #29  
just be carefull.. that one has been HEAVILLY modified by welding to and may have reduced or compromised it's structrual integrety ( or not ). oe style rops had no welded canopies. they ere all strap / bolt on with brackets..

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #30  
Thanks, It's a good caution about modifying engineered structures.

In this case the welded canopy is OEM. If you look at the photos by the original author of this thread (6th post in the thread), what I have is exactly the same ROPS/FOPS that Eric has except that as received it had some junk mods to it. I replaced the junk mods by professionally refurbished replacements by a shop that builds new highway legal vehicles. They repaired the damage from the earlier mods so it should be better than new. I don't think this structure is heat treated like the frame rails on a Class 8 truck where you are warned to not drill or weld the frame.