Ford 4600 bush hog on slope

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #1  

Eric1

Tractor
Ford 4600
Hi,
I recently moved to live on a mountain and am new to mowing on anything but flat ground. I have a Ford 4600 tractor with wheel weights and 3 front weights and no loader. I just installed a tilt meeter to give me a feel for the slope. Anything over 10 makes me nervous, but I have seen tractors like mine mowing the sides of a road and I wondered what kept them from tipping. My tractor was used by the Missouri department of transportation so I am sure it has seen its share of roadsides.

My main question is will filling the tires lower the center of gravity? What is the best thing to fill them with and should I fill the front tires also? What is the best way to add weight to the front? Should I trade this tractor in on a 4 wheel drive model?

Sorry for these questions I am sure they are pretty basic, but I have never been on a slope before.

Thanks,
Eric

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #2  
Definitely fill those rear tires!

Filled tires will lower your tractor's center of gravity as well as reduce the potential for a side roll (read the definition of "inertia"). Basically, less "bounce"...
After that, it's a matter of getting used to working on slopes. Getting used to slopes doesn't mean getting complacent!!! Complacency is a killer...never forget that!
As far as 4WD...there are a lot of farmers in PA operating 2WD tractors on slopes. Would 4WD be safer? Maybe...but as you wrote, your tractor has already been on a number of slopes and is still in one piece.

BTW, if your Ford has a ROPS, use your seatbelt...if it doesn't have a ROPS, find out if it can be retrofitted.

Last edited:
   / Ford 4600 bush hog on slope
Thanks, This tractor has a steel canopy that I think will work as a ROPS. I do need to add a seat-belt.

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #4  
Thanks, This tractor has a steel canopy that I think will work as a ROPS. I do need to add a seat-belt.

How about a picture of the 4600?
You really want to confirm that canopy is, in fact, a ROPS and add that seatbelt.

I'd be really surprised if it ddn't have a ROPS, it being a former MO DOT tractor.

I will take a picture and post tonight.

Here are some pictures of the canopy. What is is that the tires should be filled with? Should the front tires be filled also?

Attachments

• IMG00338.jpg
    IMG00338.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 2,099
  • IMG00339.jpg
    IMG00339.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG00340.jpg
    IMG00340.jpg
    663.5 KB · Views: 3,376
   / Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #7  
Here are some pictures of the canopy. What is is that the tires should be filled with? Should the front tires be filled also?

That's definitely a stout canopy...looks heavy enough to be a ROPS, but I don't think it is (since there is no factory installed seatbelt).

As far as fill for the tires...although I use windshield washer fluid, I'm going to suggest Rimguard for you since it's heavier...just the rears.

I'm going to PM a TBN member who goes by Sound Guy (and send a link to this thread). He's much more into old Fords then I am...

There was a seat belt. I took it off several years ago. I used to have 150 acres of flat Kansas ground and didn't worry about tipping it over.
Thanks,
I appreciate your help.

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #9  
Yes that is a ROPS, and I do know that tractor will be more stable than your bowel restraints on a hillside. I mowed with one similar (a Ford 3400) when I worked for the county mowing crew one summer and that tractor was so stable it would literally scare me. Once I tried to chicken out on a hillside but I was past the point of no return and had to ride it out going straight ahead till I go the the other side of the ravine that was below. The tractor was traveling west bound but the front of the hood was pointed southwest with the front tires steered to the west. The back tires were churning along moving forwards but going more sideways, it was a fun one for sure!

Oh yeah get a seatbelt!

/ Ford 4600 bush hog on slope #10  
Not only is it a ROPS it is also a FOPS (Falling Object Protection System). It is identical to the one I had on my old Long 2360. and yes that tractor would probably scare the heck out of you before it actually even attempted to roll. It is set up pretty wide, and I have seen Mo DOT mow slopes with them that scare me to death just to look at them let alone mow them. I would say you are set up pretty good for mowing.

James K0UA