Dam! I have to mow a dam

/ Dam! I have to mow a dam #1  

DwightD123

Silver Member
Tractor
LS R4041EZ
Ok so the dam to my lake is now overgrown and must be reclaimed. I had mowed it a couple of years ago with a cub, no ROPS and iffy engine braking. I got lucky. Now however I have a new LS with a Rotary Cutter and will be using this. I know enough to not go sideways but am looking for some safety pointers. Here is my plan:
I plan on going forward down the hill in 1-3 or 1-4 keeping the RPMs relatively low, foot off the clutch, bucket off the FLE, and then going up the road to the top of the dam (very driveable) then back down again. My rear tires are liquid filled. Any thoughts or pointers? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
   / Dam! I have to mow a dam #2  
Is your tractor 4WD, if so you should have no real problem of course depending on the degree of slope.

There is a pretty long thread about mowing on slopes you might want to check out.

/ Dam! I have to mow a dam
It is 4WD. I will search for the thread and assume by your question I should keep it in 4WD even though no worries about traction as I will ge going downhill. Is there a benefit to downhill 4WD?

/ Dam! I have to mow a dam #4  
Sounds to me that you've got a good plan. Did the very same thing your planing and i'd keep it in 4x4 so if you do have too manuver the 4x will help the stering!

/ Dam! I have to mow a dam #5  
It is 4WD. I will search for the thread and assume by your question I should keep it in 4WD even though no worries about traction as I will ge going downhill. Is there a benefit to downhill 4WD?

Yes, there is a benefit having it in 4wd going downhill. It prevents the tractor from "runaway" by giving resistance while going down hill. Trust the folks here on TBN, you will want to have it in 4wd downhill, especially if it is a steep hill.

/ Dam! I have to mow a dam #6  
I prefer to climb a hill over going down it, but I honestly don't think it will make much of a difference either way. I would probably try doing both and get it done twice as fast.

Be sure to have your top link nice and loose so that your mower can stay in contace with the changing angles as you go over the top of the dam and then level out again at the bottom.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Dam! I have to mow a dam #7  
It is 4WD. I will search for the thread and assume by your question I should keep it in 4WD even though no worries about traction as I will get going downhill. Is there a benefit to downhill 4WD?

What General Lee said, going down hill will tend to unload your rear tires and transfer weight and traction to the front wheels. With it in 4WD, if needed you will essentially have four wheel braking if needed.

Like EddieWalker, I do up and down hills, but I also mow across slopes. The "problem" with going up a hill, you really have nothing much to keep you from flipping over backwards whereas going down, you have your FEL and if you did begin to tip, you could accelerate to regain control if you have any run out space at the bottom.

On some of our steeper dams and hills, I have mowed down and backed up when there was no turn around at the bottom or top.

Before mowing, you might want to walk the dam to see if there are any surprises. We had a lot of rain this spring and both my son and I have found washouts while hogging which really increased the pucker factor exponentially. On our M8540, we were in no danger of tipping over, but our eyes sure got wide.

/ Dam! I have to mow a dam #8  
One thing i did was turn my outside rims around,gave it around 6inch wider stance,i didnt turn the whole tire around were they stuck way outside the fenders.I can still get it on my trailer no problem.

/ Dam! I have to mow a dam
Man guys thats great info on the 4WD and the toplink. See...I knew there was some good info to be had. Glad I posted and glad you guys responded. Thanks!