Generator backfeeding into utility lines

/ Generator backfeeding into utility lines #21  
It's certainly expensive for a bracket, but much cheaper than a 200A DPDT switch/breaker which can run $1000 or more. So I guess in comparison it's a bargain.

Yup and they are as big as a dorm fridge. HF has a cheaper version but I did not like it, looks to be an import. (DUH HF)

Just the switch alone is expensive, it's no small job to install. makes that interlock all the better. Not sure what size the max you could switch with an interlock ??? I know 50 amp no problem, can you go to 100 amp??

The $175 was just for the bracket. You may find a better price.

Back feeding is sending power out of your house to the power lines.

You can power up your house legally. Just do it the right way.

Well I guess that's what it means to me, but I've seen any type of powering the panel referred to as back feeding???

It is probably also UL listed, so your insurance company cannot use it as a reason to deny coverage if something happens.

Aaron Z

They claim they are, and will pass code. Probably why Bob went with the manufactures model instead of his home brew. for that little (or greater) extra piece of mind, it's worth it.

JB.

/ Generator backfeeding into utility lines #22  
At the risk of taking this off on a tangent....

I've never read anything in my homeowner's policy that says coverage only applies if things are UL listed. Has anyone seen such language in an insurance policy?

Maybe not but if you had a major claim stemming from an electric problem and they come in and see a makeshift device on your electric panel. (Referring to a home made interlock).
Might very easily create problems. Till you could prove it did not cause the loss, if you could.

JB.

/ Generator backfeeding into utility lines #23  
They claim they are, and will pass code. Probably why Bob went with the manufactures model instead of his home brew. for that little (or greater) extra piece of mind, it's worth it.
Exactly. Not hard to make one yourself, but if something electrical goes wrong, your insurance company would probably try to use your homemade interlock device as a reason to deny coverage. Harder for them to do that with a UL listed one that is installed per the manufacturers instructions.

Aaron Z

/ Generator backfeeding into utility lines #24  
See my post, which addresses the same issue. Some of the "manufacture's interlocks" can be purchased for a little as $55. Search your Load Center to see what is available.

/ Generator backfeeding into utility lines #25  
It is probably also UL listed, so your insurance company cannot use it as a reason to deny coverage if something happens.
EDIT: ('it' being a UL listed interlock vs a home made one)

Aaron Z

That is the reason I changed mine. That is swapped out homemade to UL listed.

Last edited:
   / Generator backfeeding into utility lines #26  
Another thought ... When the power is restored to a line that is connected to a generator ... which genset will win the tug-o-war of line frequency?

Your 10 kva or so genset or the utility's 1.5 megawatt unit

/ Generator backfeeding into utility lines #27  
I work for the local utility, some years ago down in the "affluent" corner of the state we had such an incident. A large house (15-20,000 sq ft) was the only customer on a side tap whose fuse had blown during a storm. The line was patrolled, no damage spotted, so the fuse was put back in, not knowing that his generator was back-feeding the tap. Owner came flying down the driveway, claiming we blew up his generator. Yes, we did blow it up, and no, we weren't responsible, since he had an improper connection (no transfer switch).

/ Generator backfeeding into utility lines #28  
I work for the local utility, some years ago down in the "affluent" corner of the state we had such an incident. A large house (15-20,000 sq ft) was the only customer on a side tap whose fuse had blown during a storm. The line was patrolled, no damage spotted, so the fuse was put back in, not knowing that his generator was back-feeding the tap. Owner came flying down the driveway, claiming we blew up his generator. Yes, we did blow it up, and no, we weren't responsible, since he had an improper connection (no transfer switch).
HA! HA! HA! HA! Hearing THAT makes me smile! Serves him right! I hope it was an expensive generator too!

*Retired Journeyman Lineman here, eh!*

/ Generator backfeeding into utility lines #29  
Our local utility (we have a co-op) has a policy "If it isn't grounded ... it isn't dead!" Therefore, when they work on any downed line, they ground ALL legs.

a few years back when they were working on a downed line on our road, when the lineman was getting out his grounding wires, he was explaining to us why the repair would take a little longer. They had to take the time to make sure it was dead before they could start. This meant grounding all legs. In the dark, they do not rush this step.

When he put one of the grounding leads on some sparks were emitted from the clamp. He said something about there being an "illegal generator" connected to the line. Then after he finished tightening the clamps, he commented on the "surprise" the homeowner would have when they found their generator was fried.

Since they have introduced the "If it isn't grounded ... it isn't dead!" policy, they have not had any linemen get hurt. No telling how many generators they have fried. :D

/ Generator backfeeding into utility lines #30  
I think its safe to say the general public never assumes a downed line is safe. I'd say almost only retired pole cats and copper thieves might assume such a thing! Most of the public can't tell the difference between phone wires and the power lines, and most of them wouldn't touch a piece of power line that wasn't even connected on the ends.

The general public may assume a downed line is safe because they can see a blown fuse.