Need seat belt

/ Need seat belt #1  

Anonymous Poster

I've just bought a used tractor, and the seller was nice enough to replace the seat (without me asking!). Unfortunately, he didn't include a seat belt.

I'm going to ask him if him still has it, but I wanted to know if anyone can direct me to a web site that sells seat belts. I tried the local TSC, but they didn't have any.

Thanks.

/ Need seat belt #2  
I am assuming that you have a ROPS. You don't want to be strapped to a rolling tractor unless you have a ROPS. I would go to the Ford dealer. If it is factory ROPS then the seat belt was probably part of the package. My seat belt (on my JD) actually attaches to the ROPS, not the seat.

/ Need seat belt
I have a ROPS. The previous seat had the seatbelt connected to it. I thought about the local Ford/New Holland dealer, but they are kind of pricy.

/ Need seat belt
I looked at the JC Whitney site. They have belts, but the shortest lap belt started a 60" - way too long.

/ Need seat belt
Getting closer (maybe). Those are 90" long, but appear to have some way of taking out the slack. I'll call the place to find out more.

I called my local Ford/NH dealer. A seatbelt is $90! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Quite a bit more that the $9 from Surplus Center.

/ Need seat belt #8  
Why not try a local auto junkyard. Just measure the length that you need and the type of end mounting. I am sure that you will find one for just a few bucks. They are glad to get rid of them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ken

/ Need seat belt #9  
<font color="blue"> the shortest lap belt started a 60" - way too long. </font>

You may never find an affordable belt that's the right length. Rather than spending the big bucks for OEM or having several feet of slack sitting on your lap, expand your creative horizons. Find a pair of scissors and plug in the sewing machine. Your can custom cut the new belt to exactly the length you want, and sew it so an elephant couldn't pull it loose. Use the mounting hardware that's in place now (if it's still there) or use what comes with the new belt.

If you feel uncomfortable around a sewing machine, ask wife, friend, mother, etc. to help. I usually need my wife to get me started, but attempt to sew my own projects, especially where "pretty" doesn't count.

Just this week, the spring in my tractor's seatbelt buckle stopped working, so I am in the same spot you are. I have sewn nylon strap on our standard sewing machine before, so I believe you don't really need any special heavy duty sewing machine. Anyway, for a $10 belt, it may be worth a try.

OkieG

/ Need seat belt
The surplus center guys sell a 90" belt for $10 (plus shipping)! I thought about doing what you suggest (cut and sew) but I didn't know if a standard sewing machine could go through a belt (seems thick to me), or if it somehow wouldn't be strong enough. If I can't find one soon, seems like a reasonable thing to do.

GregM