another death by tractor (Indiana)

/ another death by tractor (Indiana) #1  

lilranch2001

Tractor
Bobcat CT 235
Tractor-mower accident kills Kendallville farmer
Journal Gazette
A man died in Kendallville on Tuesday after he was run over by a tractor he had been operating and was thrown from, police said.

A 55-year-old man was clearing a field with a large tractor and Bush Hog-style mower about 2:44 p.m. at U.S. 6 and Rodgers Road when he hit a large stump and was thrown from his tractor, according to a report from the Kendallville Police Department.

The man was then run over, police said, and was dead from apparent injuries he suffered in the accident when emergency responders arrived. Police said the man was unfamiliar with the field and had planned to farm the land in the spring.

The official cause of death and identity of the man will be released by the Noble County Coroner's Office after the man's family is notified, police said.

/ another death by tractor (Indiana) #2  
another really good example of what can be avoided with the use of a seatbelt. I was once almst thrown from my tractor when the loader caught a rut and stopped the tractor

/ another death by tractor (Indiana) #3  
Not to mention a seat switch (dead mad switch). Yes, they are very annoying sometimes. But would a few random annoyances be worth putting up with if it means you can live to ripe grump old age?

It's a shame. Hope his family is ok.

/ another death by tractor (Indiana) #4  
Seat belts can save your life and kill you too. When I was in high school a friend if mine's dad was killed when his tractor rolled over on him while mowing a pond levee. The tractor rested upside down under water, he couldn't get the seat belt loose and drowned.

/ another death by tractor (Indiana) #5  
More than 90% of the time you are better off with a seat belt than being "thrown clear" in an accident.

Not that there aren't exceptions, but I will not start the engine until my seat belt is on.

/ another death by tractor (Indiana) #6  
When I move my truck or my tractor I wear my seat belt. It's a habit I got into a long time before it became a law.

/ another death by tractor (Indiana) #7  
Bob77064 said:
When I move my truck or my tractor I wear my seat belt. It's a habit I got into a long time before it became a law.

Oh, I know it was a rare situation but its something to be aware of when working around water.

/ another death by tractor (Indiana) #8  
Oh, I know it was a rare situation but its something to be aware of when working around water.
One thing to check is if your belt can be released under tension. I"ll have to remember to do that next time I'm on, as I am going to do alot of loader work near my pond in the spring and I'd rather just keep it on.
I normally wear my belt all the time as its good to hold you in the seat even just working on slopes, as I don't think I've seen a tractor with a dead pedal to brace against.

/ another death by tractor (Indiana) #9  
The worst part is since 1973 I have always used my seat belt in a car or truck. But, sadly I rarely put it on when I am on the tractor. Why? I cannot answer that. But, rest assured that is to change.

/ another death by tractor (Indiana) #10  
My first showroom new car (a 1962 Austin Healy Sprite) came without seatbelts, but we sold after market seat belts in Dad's auto parts store, so I installed them myself in that little car and have been wearing seat belts ever since, so when I bought my Kubotas it was just natural to buckle up every time I got on one.