ANOTHER DUMB THING

/ ANOTHER DUMB THING #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
WAS SITTING OUT ENJOYING THE EARLY EVENING. my neighbor , down the raod was cutting his grass, just looking when i saw him get off his GT to move some branches , his mower never changed sound, he got off with the blades still engaged(must have defeated the OPS) then he got back on.his wife and 2 oldest kids do most of the mowing all it is going to take is one mistake! funny thing is this guy is a vol. fireman and a medic on the ambulance squad.
DUMB NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ ANOTHER DUMB THING #2  
I've seen that before, too. Probably has the discharge chute tied up or removed, too, just to make it easier to get your foot in there... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ ANOTHER DUMB THING #3  
Perhaps a friendly question and gentle saftey hint would be helpfull to him and his family.

/ ANOTHER DUMB THING #4  
Frank,

Since this guy is a fireman I would go over there and talk to him. Get him to tell you about all the dumb things that people do that end up starting a fire. You'll get him going pretty good. And when he is done, tell him, is this any different than you getting on and off that mower with without shutting it down. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I think he will get the idea.

murph

/ ANOTHER DUMB THING #5  
Hi Frank,

I think "Murph" has a good suggestion. I think you should find someway to bring it up to him. If you do, and he still chooses to do nothing about it, at least you did what you could. Maybe he just doesn't realize the danger.

I know you would feel terrible if he or a member of his family...or anyone else in the neighborhood...got injured because of this and you didn't tell him.

I just bought a new Woods rear blade for my tractor. I can't believe how many pages of the instruction manual are safety related. There's some pretty obscure stuff (sarcasm) in their too...like don't crawl under the 500 lb. blade to make any adjustments. The sad part, is we know they have to put that stuff there because there is someone who already did that...or will do it.

Yup...doesn't seem to be much of a shortage of dumb . As someone's signature says: "The sum of all intelligence is a constant. It's the population that keeps growing." Sure seems to be true.

~Rick

/ ANOTHER DUMB THING #6  
One thing I have noticed is that many lawnmowers blades shutoff when in reverse... couldn't remember if my murray did or not. Checked yesterday and it doesn't. Anyone know which brands do / don't.

I do know that on that murry, you can get of fthe tractor with it running, but the clutch/brake has to be down with the parking pong set.... but doesn't work with the blades engaged.

I have found the switch under the seat.. had to adjust it once... was cutting off if you leaned on the seat a little to the side... but never have found the switch on the blade engagement.... havn't found any other wiring that would be killing it when the blades are on and the seat switch opens.

Soundguy

/ ANOTHER DUMB THING #7  
I disbabled my reverse shut-off on my husky. I'm doing too much backing up on my place into corners. It was frustrating. I always look. I know there is a safety issue but it was just too frustrating. I left the seat safety switch and you can't get off without shutting off blades and engaging parking brake.

/ ANOTHER DUMB THING #8  
I agree its worth a try. The challenge is not to make him mad. Sometimes people's ego gets in the way.

I don't know how many of those ballon filing operations I have tried to persuade about cylinder safety. You know the ones at the mall, store, etc.. with a helium tank. All tanks should be chained to the wall and many are not. When I bring it up I usually get a look like I am from mars......

if you have ever seen what hapens when you tip one over and bust the valve on top you will understand the concern. These things become rockets and will bust through walls and eaily kill people if in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Some people don't get it no matter what you say.

Fred

/ ANOTHER DUMB THING #9  
If you see business with presurized gas cylinders unsecured.. you might want to call OSHA.. the do investigate those kind of things... even fire extinguishers must be secured.

And yeas.. they are like torpedos when that valve comes off.. I've seen holes in block walls to prove it.

Soundguy

/ ANOTHER DUMB THING #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( they are like torpedos when that valve comes off )</font>

Ah, yes, the most spectacular fire I ever witnessed personally was when the National Cylinder Gas place burned. They were at the edge of town on a gravel road at the time, the firemen were trying to aim streams of water at the building while lying flat in the borrow ditch, and I was watching from around the corner of a building a block away. I didn't see any "torpedos" but I sure did see some "rockets", one of which cut the power lines almost over my head and was still upward bound the last time I saw it.