How do you safely pull logs?

/ How do you safely pull logs? #1  

BrettW

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar FF205D
Just read a few posts about guys getting hurt/killed pulling logs. As I plan to do this, I am just a little concerned that I might do something stupid. So, what is the safest way to do it?

thanks, Brett W

/ How do you safely pull logs? #2  
A direct answer to your question, the "safest" way is to get someone else to do it. But I gather that wasn't the answer you were looking for. But, please point us to the posts that you read here where someone was hurt/killed pulling logs.

What size logs are you thinking of pulling? Are you concerned about the logs dragging in the dirt (hard on saws whether they are sawmill blades or chain saw teeth). There have been several posts and threads, ranging all the way from dragging them on the ground, dragging them with a "skid pan" under the front end of small logs, lifting the end of the log with logging tongs hooked to a 3pt, lifting the log with a 3pt boom, to getting a wheeled dolly (trailer) to hoist a log while being pulled out of the woods. All can be done safely with care and using ones head. All can be done un-safely as well. There are inherent dangers, as with ordinary things like getting in ones car and driving down the road.

I "safely" pull logs out of the woods with a set of logging tongs hanging on the I-match hook on my JD 4300. (pic).

Attachments

• 259503-logging2.JPG
    259503-logging2.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 536
   / How do you safely pull logs? #3  
That would be with a logging winch. But as has been noted, you need to use your head or you can get into a world of trouble.

/ How do you safely pull logs? #4  
Each log, each pull has to be thought out on it's own situation. Preplan and think of consequences.

Egon

/ How do you safely pull logs?
what about pulling up a slope? would it be safer to go up the hill backwards?