6 Tornado myths

/ 6 Tornado myths
There was an engineer's two story house in Norman completely blown away by a tornado (last year?). Nothing left but the slab. He had all the extra straps, extra bolts in the foundation, etc. None of it helped save the house.

They were all in the storm shelter and were ok.

All that extra bracing would have helped a lot in a near miss but doesn't mean squat when taking a direct hit from a biggun'.

I had a 16 ft pipe gate that opened one way (downhill) and would be very hard to open into the high side uphill. A gust of wind (probably microburst) blew it so hard the locking chain distorted the locking mechanism and the gate was blown open 90 degrees toward the uphill side. An all steel building with sturdy welded pipe frame had stood for over 40 years here in tornado alley. The straight wind folded in half a 14x14 foot door and blew it off its tracks and into the interior of the building. The door at the opposite end was also folded and blown out of the building. The doors had wind bracing. The new ones have twice the wind bracing.

Weirdest thing I ever knew about tornado wise was a town in Kansas that got slicked. A few folks left and the rest rallied and rebuilt residences and commercial structures and got slicked again, same date, next year. More folks left but some rebuilt and yup, you guessed it got slicked again next year same date. See myth #2 below.

Tornado Myths and Facts
There are many myths about tornadoes which are false and could be life threatening.
Myth #1:
When traveling by car...seek shelter under an overpass as a tornado approaches.

Fact:
Seeking shelter under an overpass is more dangerous than standing in an open field while a tornado is approaching. When a tornado passes over an overpass, winds are funneled under the bridge thereby increasing the velocity. The same phenomena can be experienced by standing between two buildings on a windy day. The best place to seek shelter while traveling is in a sturdy building. If no building is available, lie flat on the ground and cover your head or stay in your vehicle with seat belts fastened. Tornadoes do not follow terrain features exactly so chances are if the tornado comes directly toward your location...it will pass right over you. Be wary however...debris tends to collect in lows spots such as culverts and ditches...and flash flooding may be possible as well.

Myth #2:
Tornadoes never strike the same location twice.

Fact:
The town of Cordell Kansas had a tornado hit on May 20th three years in a row (1916...1917...1918). In Guy, Arkansas...three tornadoes hit the same church on the same day.

Myth #3:
Big cities and their tall buildings are protected from tornadoes.

Fact:
Big cities and their immediate surrounding areas are not protected from tornadoes. In fact...many cities across the United States have been hit directly within recent times such as Miami... Oklahoma City...Houston...Fort Worth...and Nashville. Even Salt Lake City has been directly hit. Utah only experiences a few tornadoes per year...but they can strike anywhere. Since big cities cover a relatively small geographical area...the chances of a tornado striking that particular area are relatively small...but not impossible. The myth that tall buildings protect cities from tornadoes is false since tornadic thunderstorms are typically 8 to 12 miles in height. A tall building of 500 to 1000 feet in height can not possibly deflect or destroy a tornado.

Myth #4:
Large lakes protect nearby areas from tornadoes.

Fact:
While cold water and the cool air on top of a large lake such as Lake Michigan can provide for a locally stable environment at times...chances are a thunderstorm producing a tornado moving toward a cold lake has a large driving force that can easily overcome the dampening effects of refrigerated air over a large lake.

In addition...typical lake breezes found along the Lake Michigan shore are often shallow and only affect a small portion of the lower atmosphere. Warm and unstable air above this marine layer/lake breeze could very well sustain thunderstorm strength. For example... on March 8, 2000...Milwaukee County experienced its earliest tornado on record at a time when Lake Michigan is climatologically coldest.

Myth #5:
Mountains...ridges...river valleys...and large lakes stop tornado development.

Fact:
Tornadoes are possible in every corner of the United States... including mountains...ridges...and river valleys. While conditions aren稚 optimal for tornado development on top of mountains or directly over lake Michigan...tornadoes have been documented to visit mountains at the 10 to 14 thousand foot level in the Sierra Nevada mountains and in Yellowstone National Park. Strong tornadoes have also been known to cross the Mississippi River and other large rivers or large lakes.

Myth #6:
Seeking shelter in the southwest corner of your house will protect you from being hit by debris...

Fact:
This myth was devised solely by the misconception that all tornadoes propagate in a northeast direction. Therefore as the tornado hits your house...all the debris will be brought with it to the northeast and away from you. Since tornadoes can move from any direction...this myth is obviously false. Debris such as pickup trucks and cars can also be shoved into the basement by a tornado. Obviously one can be crushed by a vehicle that is deposited into a basement. One should position themselves under the I-beam...a heavy work bench...or under the steps to increase their chances of survival. During a tornado warning...people will want to seek shelter in an interior room on the lowest level of the building...away from windows.

Myth #7:
To minimize damage to your house...open all the windows prior to a tornado striking it to equalize the pressure inside and prevent it from exploding...

Fact:
While tornadoes do have incredible pressure changes associated within them...if a tornado strikes your house directly...the winds and flying debris alone will damage it severely anyway. All homes have the ability to equalize their pressure inside...since no house is 100 percent air-tight.

Furthermore...by opening windows you allow no chance of the window shielding you from debris outside which may cause bodily harm...and it wastes precious time you need to take cover.

Myth #8:
Tornadoes only occur in the late spring and summer across Wisconsin...

Fact:
While the optimal time for tornado development occurs during May through august across Wisconsin...tornadoes may develop at any time of day and on any day of the year. Since 1950...tornadoes have been documented in the badger state during every month of the year.

Myth #9:
The shape and size of the tornado determines how strong it is...

Fact:
Tornadoes come in all shapes and sizes and one should not depend on how large they are or their shape to determine strength. The only way to determine the strength of the tornado is through damage assessments conducted by the national weather service...or by taking a direct measurement of wind. During damage assessments...National Weather Service employees look for clues that will tell them how strong the winds were. The wind estimate is then related to the enhanced-fujita tornado scale and a tornado intensity level will be assigned. Tornadoes are rated on a scale from ef0 to ef5...with ef5 being the strongest. Merely by looking at the tornado/s shape does not tell the whole story. The visible funnel is created by cloud condensation or dirt and debris. Conditions that create the visible funnel will change each time a tornado develops...and therefore one can not use this method reliably.

Myth #10:
Significant property or crop damage is always a result of a tornado...

Fact:
Tornadoes do produce significant damage. However straight-line down-burst winds can be just as destructive. Down-burst winds associated with severe thunderstorms are capable of reaching wind speeds of 100 to 150 mph...Or the equivalent of an ef1 or ef2 or ef3 tornado. Significant damage does not always imply a tornado. Several...less obvious...clues will tell National Weather Service employees whether a tornado or straight-line winds caused the damage.

Myth #11:
Mobile homes attract tornadoes...

Fact:
Nothing attracts tornadoes. Tornadoes form and travel at their own leisure. It seems as though mobile homes attract tornadoes because they are more susceptible to damage. However...on a pro- rated basis...higher numbers of fatalities and injuries occur with mobile-trailer homes.

Myth #12:
The number of tornadoes per year has been increasing due to more favorable weather conditions.

Fact:
The number of documented tornadoes in the U.S. has increased since the early 1900s. However...this increase is mostly likely due to the general increase in the population...more trained storm spotters...better radar detection technology...and better follow-up damage surveys. Tornadoes have not become more common due to more favorable weather conditions.

I'm not superstitious but I think after twice I would have taken a hint.

/ 6 Tornado myths #22  
You just don't know what you've missed, but you can be thankful that you've missed it.:laughing: We left Dallas the morning of July 1, 1972, enroute to Alaska and that afternoon, we got to see a tornado in the Texas panhandle. It was coming straight at us, and I was driving a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup, pulling a 25' travel trailer and we were in the flat wide open spaces without so much as a borrow ditch. We were going west on U.S. 87 west of Dumas and the tornado was south of us and coming north. My wife was hysterical and I was scared out of my wits, but there was nothing we could do. For some reason that tornado turned east before it go to us. And I hope to never get that good a look at one again.

It was rather ironic that I read this was the last thread I read yesterday before going home. By the time I got home and was checking the news I saw the reports of the tornadoes hitting Dallas. :eek:

I have never seen a tornado but I have seen a few water spouts on the ocean. :D

Once I was on a 33 foot long sailboat which had a maximum speed of 4-5 knots with either engine or sail. We were out in the Keys and a storm popped up to our NE as we sailed north. All of the waterspouts I have seen have moved east to west most likely because of the sea breezes. We were west of the storm and heading in the storm's direction. We were in a small sound and could pretty much only go north or south for any distance. The storm cell dropped not one but THREE water spouts! :eek: And they were heading east towards our direction of travel. :eek: There really was not much we could do as we watched the water spouts and tried to figure out if there was anything we COULD do. We figured we would disappear and be yet more victims of the Bermuda Triangle. :D

Eventually the water spouts move off to the NE and quickly disappeared. This only took a few minutes but it ain't a fun feeling seeing those things when you are on a boat and there is no place to hide and you cannot run away.

Later,
Dan

/ 6 Tornado myths #23  
Thanks for posting Patrick_g.. I am 57 and have never actually seen one of the things in person.. I have been very near them, but it is always been so dark and the rain coming down so hard, that it has been impossible to actually see anything. I have seen plenty of the aftermath.

James K0UA

Same here. I experienced the Jan 1967 tornado that hit St. Louis up close and personal. It touched down about 2 blocks from my duplex. Tore up the neighborhood--twisted the light poles at a ballfield like corkscrews, popped roofs clean off neighboring structures. Fortunately I and my 8-months pregnant wife were unharmed. Pretty scary stuff.

/ 6 Tornado myths #24  
Myth 2:*Taking shelter under an overpass during a tornado will protect me.
Fact:*Overpasses and bridges can actually concentrate airflow from a tornado and become dangerous "wind tunnels." Hiding under an overpass may subject you to severe injuries from flying debris or even cause you to be blown out into the storm itself.
Tip:*While not an ideal solution, it may be safer to find a low spot, such as a ditch, and lie face down with your hands covering your head.

That what Gregg Jarrett from Fox News did.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/14854894...experience-of-surviving-kansas-tornado-in-91/

/ 6 Tornado myths #25  
Here is one I saw Saturday just East of Salina Kansas on I-70 it was reported to be on the ground just before I took these pics my wife had called me to tell me thats what the news had said anyway she knew we were just outside Salina.

We were on our way back from Missouri from delivering a piece of equipment I took these with my iPhone4 while I was driving also got a 5-6 minute video on it. There was an F-4 on the ground just 60 miles from here so this one was probably spawned from that cell

As of today they are saying we had 150 that day I dont doubt it my radar app on the phone had red squares all over the state.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
   / 6 Tornado myths #26  
I take issue with a number of the resposnes that State farm makes up.

I would NEVER EVER pick a windowless "closet" on the first floor if a basement is available.

If your house takes a direct hit, I dont want to be stuck in the middle of a closet trying to hold on my my arse while this happens.

we4.jpg

vers being "safe" in my basement

as for outrunning a tornado in a car. Ya its simple, just dont run directly away from it. flank it. Ever watch storm chasers on Discovery. they are TRYING to drive into one and spend years TRYING to do it only to get a few successful "hits". The spend MUCH of there time chasing the storm. Which means that yes, its much easyer to run away from it in your car.

NOTE: if your house is in the process of getting hit, that is NOT the time to try and flee. Head the warning 15-20 min before hand and get out of town then.

Hiding in overpasses. ya they may speed up the wind, but you have GIANTIC STEEL REINFORCED concrete pillars to stand behind to avoid that flying debris. Open ditch vs standing behind a 4' diam concrete pillar.... ill take the pillar any day!

Oh and I took this picture from my front yard a few years ago.
DSC02783%20(Large).JPG

I had been on my Ham radio weather net for the past 30 min reporting the wall cloud that formed that tornado, and gave regular updates to the wall cloud, observed overhead rotation, funnel cloud formation and eventual tornado that touched down. Had a series of pics to go with that i forwared on to the national weather service in St Louis. They have incorporated the set of pics into the weather spotter training class for a clear understanding of storm development