This guy needs a trailer...

/ This guy needs a trailer... #11  
I did that one time loading a four wheeler in my truck when I was a kid. I was trying to use 2x6's :confused:. From then on I always used the proper ramps or a trailer.

/ This guy needs a trailer... #12  
So far to date, my only "loading mishap" was blasting a Polaris atv up into the bed of a 4x4 chevy and then hitting the brakes on the atv. The wheels stopped very nicely, but the rubber mat that the atv was then sitting on DIDN'T STOP! :confused2: Essentially the atv wheels grabbed the rubber mat and it started sliding forward until the atv stopped after hitting the inside rear of the truck bed and the rear of the cab. Of course, the back glass of the cab got shattered into a zillion pieces!! Hey, I always wanted to put a sliding back glass in that truck, so it just gave me a good excuse to go ahead and do it!! :laughing: I kept digging tiny pieces of glass from inside the cab (standard cab truck) until the day I sold it lol.

But yeah, my ramp has the safety chains that attach somewhere onto the truckbed so it can't slip out from under you. That's the only way to do it in my book.

/ This guy needs a trailer... #13  
When carrying my dirtbikes, I always place a PVC spacer between the top of front tire and the underside of the fender. This way, when you cinch down the straps it makes the front end of the bike rigid and stays put much better. It also keeps the front fork seals from trying to hold very high pressures for extended periods of time.

When I unload my bikes, I simply sit on them and roll down over the ramps. Occasionally I forget the pvc spacer and it will fetch up for a moment. One more yank and off we go.

Well, while unloading the mighty, 289lb, XR650R one night, it fetched up. Another good solid yank got me where my feet were no longer able to touch the tailgate...... That's when I remembered the small padlock I had put in the front brake disk.

DOH!

/ This guy needs a trailer... #14  
This is why I only buy ramps with the straps that connect to the bumper so they can't slip out like that. I'm constantly loading two four wheelers in the back of my truck before hooking up the camper. This is exactly what I don't want to happen.
My ramps are like these, you can see the straps in blue:
long-atv-ramps-07.jpg

Oh that's what those straps are for. And unloading is the really fun part. Thanks.....just kidding.

Charlie