where saftey glasses? you bet i do!

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #1  

namesray

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota rtv900: kubota mx5200
recently i have been seeing a few "saftey" topics here at tbn and have looked at only a few. i have always been a "safety first" kinda person and do most of my work accordingly. sure there are times i just "grab a tool and go" , but most of the time i try to set a job up safely and use saftey equipment.

like i said above "most" of the time i use saftey gear. when i think the job requires it. but when you read "where safety glasses when using 'hammer', 'lawn mowers', 'spray tools', 'greasing equipment', 'oil changes', 'filling a tire with air'" how many of us actually do it with those jobs. i will admit i do it for a couple i listed, but not all.

to my point. who would think to where saftey glasses when putting air in a tire? or checking a tire's air pressure?

the other day i had a soft tire on my gmc truck. the tires are fairly new and this particular tire had gone soft about 2 weeks eariler. so i figured slow leak somewhere. i took it off the truck, and proceded to examine it. it was holding air for 2 weeks so this was going to be tricky to find. plucked all the stones out of the tread and began to look at the surface for punctures. found a couple suspect areas, so i got out the water/soap spray. began to go over the areas. nothing.

i then went to the bead areas and went around the entire rim, both sides. nothing

next was the valve stem. nothing.

to make a long story short, i ended up going over the entire tire 3 times, and i mean every area, every square inch. nothing.

my friend was driving by and i flagged him down and he stopped. he came to where i had the tire laying on its side, valve stem up (as i had just sprayed the valve stem with soap). told him i can't find the leak. the valve stem cap was off and soap in the valve stem. i was knelt down by the tire and my friend was knelt down by the tire, kinda leaning over it. he rubbed his finger over the valve stem to change up the soap bubbles. for a second nothing happened. but all the sudden something shot up, grazing off my friend's cheek and then i heard it hum right past my forhead and hit the top of the metal roof on my tractor shed. after we had a moment to calm down, my friend said "found your leak!"

the entire guts of the valve stem popped out. almost took an eye out on either one of us. VERY LUCKY it didn't.

anyway, just a reminder to stay safe. if this post helps just one person one time, it was worth it. i know i will be putting on my saftey glasses all the time now when i am working, and be even more saftey aware with other things.

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #2  
Thanks for posting ..but in reality we would all have to have the safety glasses on a cord around our necks to always use them and even then I bet we would forget..If we all had a face shield that we could flip down ...maybe then we'd be safe..but I think there are just some risks out there we will never overcome.

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #3  
I tend to put mine on all the time, for chores (our goats have horns)or almost anything I do outside. Never really know what i'm going to get into and I don't want to go back to the house or the shed to get them once I start a job.

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #4  
I tend to put mine on all the time, for chores (our goats have horns)or almost anything I do outside. Never really know what i'm going to get into and I don't want to go back to the house or the shed to get them once I start a job.

It's a habit worth the effort to establish.

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #5  
I use them when weed eating, grinding, or spraying weed killer. Thanks for posting.

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #6  
I put mine on when I get out of bed in the morning and take them off when I go to bed at night and have for the last 55 years. They may not be official safety glasses but they have saved my eyes any number of times and on rare occasions when I do take them off (dirty or wet) I flinch if I have to do something remotely eye risky.

Not too long ago I was tightening down a chain binder using a cheater pipe when the pipe slipped off and hit my glasses in my left lens. A one inch scratch on the lens and another one inch on my cheek but no eye impact! I have a prescription shop pair that is all pitted.

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #7  
After living with glasses since about age 10, I had laser surgery a few years back. The surgery was marvelously effective, but now have to keep safety glasses always handy. Outside I most often have sunglasses on, so that's not a problem--just buy rated shades. In the shop, or other places where shades are not warranted, it's a struggle to remember that I need the glasses.
Note: There are a couple companies that make safety glasses with a "reading" lens built in. I have a couple pair with a 1.0 diopter bifocal in them. They are really handy!

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #9  
I worked in Machine Shops as a Die Maker for 45 years, rarely wore safety glasses.. except when I needed them, and still have both eyes intact. I'm not going to go and say that it's a bad thing to protect oneself, but I don't need OSHA telling me how that should be done... Accidents can happen in spite of the best laid plans!
The best piece of safety equipment is experience, and one's good, common sense!

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #10  
I have worn glasses since about age 20, and I always get the hardned lenses. they have saved me countless times, and they are always there.

James K0UA