Safe mowing on slopes

/ Safe mowing on slopes #11  
thanks TripleR. My search technique isn't very good for sure.
I'll read all these, thank you, and will be back in a day or two with terrain pics.
Drew

I just happened to remember the right phrases having read them, search gives you so many options it really takes a lot of sifting to find the right thread.

As mentioned by another poster, pictures can be deceiving, so what might not look too bad really is.

/ Safe mowing on slopes #12  
So what's the safest way to do this?

Always keep the front of the tractor pointed downhill. In other words mow up the hill in reverse, go back down the hill retracing same tracks, at the bottom of the hill (on level ground) realign tractor for next cut, repeat all steps until mowing is done. NEVER make a turn or change directions on a hill.

/ Safe mowing on slopes #13  
It is apparent that you have reviewed the other threads that were posted in regards to this subject in the past on TBN. Please adhere to the following: (1) Avoid changing gears when climbing or descending a slope (2) If operating on a slope, never disengage the clutch or shift levers to neutral. Doing so, could result in loss of control (3) Before descending a slope, shift to a gear low enough to control your speed without using the brakes. In retrospect, please be careful and remain alert in regards to your environment and the changes in the terrain.

Last edited:
   / Safe mowing on slopes #14  
IMO, get a walk-behind mower for the steep hills...That's what we do...Much safer...:thumbsup:

...but, I know it's easy to spend your money...

/ Safe mowing on slopes
Wow, I read most of the prior posts, and despite my clearly belonging in the
"non-math" ability crowd, I'm pretty sure that my confidence level is far below that of any max spec on any equipment.

I'm trying to avoid using my Gravely to mow the slopes because it will only cut at around six inches, and I'm trying to mow the rest at eight.

I am putting in a large garden on this farm, owned by a close friend. The sloping area isn't far from the flatter level where the garden is, and yesterday I needed to mow the area around the garden. So while I was mowing I was looking over at the sloped area, shaped like half a bowl, (for us old farts, would make a nice mini-Woodstock...) and the answer was really easy. It will only take me about an hour at most to mow the hill with the smaller machine, so I realized at least for me the issue is moot, just be safe and use the Gravely. I'll experiment by running the tractor along the slope to see where my comfort level leaves me, likely pretty low. My tractor is due back from the shop with a new Michigan suspension seat from Northern Tools installed, and I'm hoping that will hold me in place better, as well as being seriously more comfortable overall. So I don't think I"ll slide too much in this seat, but then, I don't want to...

I don't want to hang on for "dear life" and I know with the big R1 tires I've got, they may not lose traction gradually on a slope.

And I found some pics I took to illustrate why even shallow slopes can be super dangerous if the ground gives out underneath you. My retired doctor friend was very lucky to crawl out from the bottom of his pond, and I do mean crawl with many broken bones including his back. Do not do this at home...

Ultimately nothing beats safety. The problem really arises when one can't afford that super expensive slope mower, and tries to make do, as most of us do, with what one has. Run what you brung. Just have to do it safely, and know when to revert back to walk behinds and even a string trimmer.

Attachments

• P1000027.jpg
    P1000027.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 610
  • P1000024.jpg
    P1000024.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,729
Last edited:
   / Safe mowing on slopes #16  
Daugen I know the subject was mentioned before but do you have your rear tires loaded with liquid ballast? That will make more difference in stability on a small tractor than anything else you can do. You will also gain a great deal in the traction department.

MarkV

/ Safe mowing on slopes #17  
The BEST solution is to use roundup to kill all if the grass, the install landscaping that doesn't require mowing. Is grass worth life and limb?

/ Safe mowing on slopes #18  
Having grown up with a tricycle gear JD, I have always worried about tipping. I still do, with a JD CUT and loaded tires. I have learned to deal with hills, going up and down. What gets me now is trimming along the drive or driving across a field and hitting a rut or hole. I actually had two wheels off the ground for a few seconds a week ago. Gave me the willies. I have learned to go very slowly in some areas, even getting off to walk the way and make sure about holes, rocks or old stumps. If you're on even a slight angle, something small can make the difference.

I am aware of tractor rollover accidents around here, and a good many of them did not occur on steep slopes. A neighbor farmer died when he went on flat ground a little too close to a creek bank and it caved in. Tractors are potentially dangerous machines and you simply have to be alert constantly.

/ Safe mowing on slopes
do you have your rear tires loaded with liquid ballast

No, it's still pretty new to me and I was a little concerned about potentially adding 30-50% more weight to a 25hp 2000 pound tractor. I realize the weight isn't really "on" the tractor, but I'm thinking of mowing up gradual slopes and I'm already seriously pushing the limit with a 60 mower on a 21hp pto tractor.

We had some serious inclines in spots on the farm I grew up on, with a tricycle front B. My memory was that the tractor at least was set up with the rear wheels pretty far out, but perched up on that bouncing metal seat, and hanging on to only the steering wheel, that was not a pleasant memory.

In the next year or two, I'll be ordering a new tractor, and I'm seriously considering a low profile style. And 4wd. But now I'm sort of retraining on a "make do" tractor that I bought from my Quaker Meeting when it broke and no one wanted to pay to fix it, since it really wasn't used any more. So I'm trying to work within the constraints of a tractor about a third the weight that I likely need, but if I think twice before the clutch comes out, all should be fine.

/ Safe mowing on slopes #20  
Just looking at the photo of your tractor, it looks narrow and tippy, but its hard to tell. A subcompact in 4 wheel drive is as about as stable as you can get, unless you get into on of the speciality type tractors that is very wide and low.