Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

Default Fall protection harness

Some of the jobs sites I go on are requiring a fall protection harness if I climb over 6'. The harnesses we have are a PITA. They are bulky and heavy. I am trying to find a good lightweight harness that you can actually be comfortable and work in and still be safe. It also needs to be easy to put on and take off. If anyone could make a recommendation from personal experience I would appreciate their opinions
    Bill

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK 27 shuttle

Default Re: Fall protection harness

I wish I could help but I am afraid that anything you find wont fit all of those criteria. If its comfortable it wont typically be quick and easy and visa versa. good luck, if you find something that works well for you please let us know. I assume you are referring to a harness with a D ring between your shoulder blades. I know from when I was doing arborist work a harness that is just waist and legs is fine but when you start getting shoulder straps they get messy and bulky.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 950 2wd John Deere 870 MFWD, John Deere F525 mower, John Deere F725 mower, John Deere F510 mower, John Deere Lx172 mower

what type of work are you doing?

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Subscribed. I'm pretty sure that ALL harnesses are a PITA, at least the cheap company supplied ones I've worn are. Maybe there are some premium ones out there that are comfortable?

Platinum Member
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

We used to even wear them to lunch because they were such a PITA to put on and off. Add the waist D rings and belt for a waist tie off, then a tool belt attachment and then you will really cry.

I saw one at the Home Depot tool rental shack that looked a lot simpler and lighter. I have the old PITA one so had no reason to open the bag but you might check that one out.

Ron

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

The problem with the harneses used on construction sites is that one size has to fit all. I hate them. Fortunatelly I don't have to use them too offten.
    I was thinking about mountain climbing equipment might work.
    Ladia

Platinum Member
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck in training View Post
    The problem with the harneses used on construction sites is that one size has to fit all. I hate them. Fortunatelly I don't have to use them too offten.
    I was thinking about mountain climbing equipment might work.
    To meet OSHA for construction work they have to have the ANSI certification sewen on them) for construction use.

Ron

Tractor
    2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706

They make some pretty comfortable harnesses, complete with retracting trauma straps that you can "stand on" to relieve the pressure from the "family jewels" in the event you fall and are swinging for 30-60 minutes until rescue is made.

Rose Safety presented a safety day for my previous company. They demonstrated a 6' fall and the violent stop from that short of a distance (straight lanyard) - all I can say is OUCH!! No more kids after that!

They repeated the fall with a shock arresting system - HUGE difference. Of course OSHA mandates a shock arresting system now - either lanyard style or the other types.

Bottom line I took away from the demonstration, if you fall, most likely you will be suspended for quite some time. After two minutes, both legs will start to go to sleep from lack of circulation - plus the twins won't be comfortable. Serious trauma damage can occur to your legs and jewels.

Exofit makes some very good harness, easy on and off. You can get them in many different styles, with tool bags, etc. Trauma straps can be added. Depending on the model - $250-350 each. Lanyards extra. Some specialized models are $500 plus - crazy high.

http://m.pksafety.com/exha.html

Find a industrial safety supply - they will have all sorts of options. Every large city has several of these companies that specialize in safety gear.

Hope this helps.
    Dean

Tractor
    Craftsman

I use the Petzl Falcon from Rock-N-Rescue. It has a detachable upper arrest harness. It's not much heavier than the sport harnesses.
    I never have the upper section on as I use mine in conjunction with the Black I'D for hands-free work positioning as opposed to fall arrest. Current job is 33' to 48' up and I'm mostly hanging over the edge to work.
    Last edited by tinner666; 04-25-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 950 2wd John Deere 870 MFWD, John Deere F525 mower, John Deere F725 mower, John Deere F510 mower, John Deere Lx172 mower

Miller duraflex is what you want.. I spend everyday 8-12 hour days wearing one, structural Ironworker connector.. there lightweight easy to put on and don't have all that extra garbage hanging off them like some of the others. those body lifts are nice to stand up in but your gonna be in a panic state of mind and it will be the last thing your thinking about..

I was walking the dog (not tied off) my lanyard got caught up in the cope of a beam connecting into the one I was walking on and sent me into the hole...Luckily that pelican hook was too big to go through and caught me.. and my lanyard stopped me from an otherwise 80' fall.. that miller duraflex saved my life (even if it's what put me in the hole to begin with).. I was sore for a week and permanately damaged my arm in panic pulling myself back up on the Iron from the bottom flange..

It happens so fast that you won't have time to even think!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast