Tying down tractor

/ Tying down tractor #1  

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
Is there a guideline for the rating of straps or chains used to hold down a tractor on a trailer?

/ Tying down tractor #2  
Federal Department of Transportation regulations address the tie down minimum requirements. Some states my impose stricter regulations. There was a good forum on this just last week in Trailers and Transportation.

/ Tying down tractor
Thanks. I tried searching, but I didn't nail down the right search terms.

/ Tying down tractor #5  
The proper tie down for any equipment is 50,50,& 80. With means what ever you use to tie it down must have a weight rating that adds up to 80% of the machine weight to stop forward motion and 50% of side to side and rear motion. If your straps do not have a weight rating on them they take them to the lowest FMCSA rating. Example is a 2in. rachet strap without a weight rating on it may be somewhere around 1500lbs. To sum it up let say you have a 10,000 lbs piece you would have to have your tie downs add up to 8,000 pound to stop to piece from moving forwards and your tie downs would have to add up to 5,000 lbs to stop it from moving sideways and 5,000 lbs from moving backwards.

/ Tying down tractor
The proper tie down for any equipment is 50,50,& 80.

That's an interesting guideline. So, my tractor is 3,500 lbs. I have some ratchet straps that are 2,500 lbs rated. If I used four of the straps to tie it to the four corners of the trailer, I would be good to go under this rule. I'd have 5000 lbs from any direction. Or wait... when you say, "add up," do you mean all four straps, or just the two that are resisting the pull in the direction of the force?

I guess the exception would be if a diagonal force was applied directly in line with one of the straps, so that only a single strap was resisting the force. Then I would be at only 71% of the tractor's weight. But perhaps that's an unlikely scenario when towing, and can be ignored?

/ Tying down tractor #7  
Yes if you have 4 straps(1 on each corner) you should be ok provided you do not have a FEL. If your tractor have FEL there must be a strap over that too. You will see the rules at Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration In the search put in cargo securement rules.