Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

Default Over-hot JD

Unfortunate neighbor had this happen to him last wk.Reminds me to buy another fire extinguisher!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -100_1223-small-jpg   -100_1224-small-jpg   -100_1226-small-jpg  

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Default Re: Over-hot JD

Wow, that's awful!! I hope he had insurance, either on the tractor itself or the house/farm that will cover it. I do carry a FE on my tractor now, since I came up with my nifty little fire extinguisher bracket a few months ago. Good luck to your neighbor.
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

It's scary how hot and fast they can go, and way it takes to put one out. Investigating one machine fire, We counted 14 empty extinguishers around it and it still burned to te ground. Maybe if they had all been there at once but people kept showing up, took the extinguisher out of their vehicle, emptied it on the fire, brought it down a bit, but never completely out so it flared up again. Think multiples, like one reached easily from the seat and one from the ground.
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 4100

Quote Originally Posted by MHarryE
    It's scary how hot and fast they can go, and way it takes to put one out. Investigating one machine fire, We counted 14 empty extinguishers around it and it still burned to te ground. Maybe if they had all been there at once but people kept showing up, took the extinguisher out of their vehicle, emptied it on the fire, brought it down a bit, but never completely out so it flared up again. Think multiples, like one reached easily from the seat and one from the ground.
    Had an analogous situation. Came up on a nice Peterbilt parked in the left shoulder of the interstate. It had a doped up driver who had burned up the steer axle left side bearing. There was about a foot of snow in the median. The driver had expended his extinguisher to no avail. The fire was spreading to the hoses, etc. on that side of the truck. An electric utility worker stopped who had a scoop shovel and a snow shovel and we busted tail shoveling snow onto the wheel but we made little progress. Eventually the fire department came and pumped water on it. The truck was saved long enough thanks to the shovels and the snow but we wouldn't have stopped it without the fire department.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Glad your neighbor wasn't injured and that the grass looks green enough that it didn't cause a fire in the surroundings. Did they determine why the fire started? My Deere, like many other CUT's, has the plastic fuel tank mounted very close to the engine and if the tank got hot enough to leak and the diesel spilled...good luck putting it out.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

I haven't found out how or why it started but he was on the road and drove if off into the field.At first I thought they could save the rear tires(the looked new) but they were scorched towards the front of the tractor.I assume he has insurance they are a commercial business.