Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #21  
I am not a fire extinguisher expert! In the mill I worked at before retiring they had one man whose job was to go around and examine dry powder extinguisher every 4 months. The reason was that the vibration from all the machinery running would compact all the powder down and it would become a solid mass and the extinguisher was inoperative. His job was to turn them over and bang it with a rubber hammer a few times making the mass break back up to become a powder again! So my question is, is a dry powder extinguisher the best for a tractor mounted application? What, if anything, would be better??
is, is a dry powder extinguisher the best for a tractor mounted application? What, if anything, would be better?? :confused:

i'd go a-b-c as you have the possibility of electrical, oil, and other things like dry grass.

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #22  
If you would like to research other information in regards to fire extinguishers, go to the Search section at the top of this page. There is quite a lot of info on past threads and posts also. Just a thought? Best wishes.

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #24  
"The liquid was probably Carbon tetrachloride"

That would be the best guess. There were also some glass balls with water to use on class A fires, but if they were for the kitchen they would have been carbon tet...

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #25  
We re-certify extinguishers each year... they dry chemical is dumped, shifted and put back in...

Have a few Halon for specific applications that are inspected and if the weight and visual is OK... they get new tags.

For years... all the car club guys carried Halon... it was required for all cars participating in club events... then it got hard to come by and now they have similar available for a price.

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #26  
I am supposed to get a 'temperature sensing Halon' for the boat. Holly smoke, they are EXPEN$IVE! I've got a small engine room [7.5'x6'x4'] (it only houses one V-8) and they are quoting me $750.oo for one.

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #27  
I am supposed to get a 'temperature sensing Halon' for the boat. Holly smoke, they are EXPEN! I've got a small engine room [7.5'x6'x4'] (it only houses one V-8) and they are quoting me $750.oo for one.

When you get into special applications that require an extinguishing "system" it gets costly. Yet if you consider the Life Hazard of a boat fire, it is money well spent.

Back to the OP, the thoughts already expressed about keeping the small fires in check, are right on. The one thing I would add to that is call 911 right away too. Those of us in the FD's have no problem with going home after a fire that was "out on arrival" or held in check to the point that we had little to do on scene. It beats the alternative.:)

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #28  
I would like to add, REPLACE OR SERVICE your extinguisher once a year!!! The gauge showing pressure in the device can and will STICK showing you have pressure when in truth the seal has leaked your extinguisher down or out of pressure, making it useless.
Also, pressing the trigger will give a sudden BLAST of pressure. You should then release the trigger and start using a more controlled application directed at the base of the fire. Using a 1A-10BC is meant for small fires or car engine fires. A 2A-10BC should be enough to extinguish anything except fully involved tires.
Turning over and bumping the extinguisher every so often IS A MUST. As stated before, vibration WILL compact the fine powder inside rendering it useless!
Fire Captain,29 years.

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #29  
Dogtrainer, will you please tell us what you refer to by "service" your extinguisher once a year? When one has as many as I do, replacing them would run in major bucks especially the larger models. I have several Kidde FireAway 3A40BC models, and when I buy an extinguisher I write the date on the bottom such as 3/98. That is the date of the oldest one.

Query: Is the dry chemical in an extinguisher less likely to cake if they are stored in a horizontal position rather than hung vertically?

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #30  
I would like to add, REPLACE OR SERVICE your extinguisher once a year!!! The gauge showing pressure in the device can and will STICK showing you have pressure when in truth the seal has leaked your extinguisher down or out of pressure, making it useless.
Also, pressing the trigger will give a sudden BLAST of pressure. You should then release the trigger and start using a more controlled application directed at the base of the fire. Using a 1A-10BC is meant for small fires or car engine fires. A 2A-10BC should be enough to extinguish anything except fully involved tires.
Turning over and bumping the extinguisher every so often IS A MUST. As stated before, vibration WILL compact the fine powder inside rendering it useless!
Fire Captain,29 years.

Don't most public and commercial facilities have a contract with a fire extinguisher company for a serviceman to come around on a scheduled basis
and switch out the extinguishers in the glass covered wall boxes?
Then your firefighters check the date tags when you pop in for your entrance blockage inspections, power out safety lights battery checks,signs and other things on your list?
I don't know if it is a local, state, or national requirement but a lot of places
have the FD demonstrate using extinguishers, CPR, evacuation plans, etc.

Out in the country or in our homes it is more our individual responsibility
to protect our lives and property but some folks just don't pay attention until
a neighbor or relative has a fire issue.