Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #32  
HERE is a link to my BX25 goodies thread...

It has stuff like the below in it;

fire-x-1.jpg

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good job. A real fire extinguisher in a real bracket.

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #33  
Maybe twenty years ago I was attending a building safety presentation and this reasoning was introduced to us in the meeting:

"All fires start small, so be prepared for that and you have a really good chance of controlling them..."
BINGO!!! That's why you carry a fire extinguisher.

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #34  
Dogtrainer, will you please tell us what you refer to by "service" your extinguisher once a year? When one has as many as I do, replacing them would run in major bucks especially the larger models. I have several Kidde FireAway 3A40BC models, and when I buy an extinguisher I write the date on the bottom such as 3/98. That is the date of the oldest one.

Query: Is the dry chemical in an extinguisher less likely to cake if they are stored in a horizontal position rather than hung vertically?

To "SERVICE" the extinguisher you need an extinguisher company to come to your business/home,m or you can take them there. They will de-pressureize the extinguishers and empty the contents. Sift the contents and replace it with a new seal, then re-presurize it or replace the pressure cartrige.
The extinguisher needs to be mounted vertical, but however you mount it, the contents will still settle and compact. The powder is finer then corn starch or backing powder. Mounted on a tractor, I would shake it up once a month at least because it gets more vibration then if in a car.
The cheaper models are pretty much throw-aways because they have plastic tops and a lot of companys will not service them. Some may?
I businesses we require that extinguishers be serviced once a year. BECAUSE no one ever moves them or shakes them. Also because of the faulty gauge issues.

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #35  
Dogtrainer, will you please tell us what you refer to by "service" your extinguisher once a year? When one has as many as I do, replacing them would run in major bucks especially the larger models. I have several Kidde FireAway 3A40BC models, and when I buy an extinguisher I write the date on the bottom such as 3/98. That is the date of the oldest one.

Query: Is the dry chemical in an extinguisher less likely to cake if they are stored in a horizontal position rather than hung vertically?

Not necessary to replace every year. For 14 years, I worked on extinguishers for a living. I would recommend doing the 6 year maintenace. That's complete empty-it-out, clean-it-up, and put-it-back-together service. (total discharge and recharge, inspect all internal parts, install new seals, etc) Then, at 12 years, either do it again, plus the hydrostatic pressure test, or simply buy a new one.

JDgreen, just my opinion, but next time, buy a good extinguisher. Stay away from anything branded Kidde, First Alert, or Flag. Those are cheap extinguishers that are mass-produced for the consumer market. They are sub-standard quality. Some will be leaked down when you take them out of the box!

If mounted on moving equipment, horizontal position is best. If it's hanging on the wall, it really doesn't matter.

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #36  
The majority of my extinguishers are Kidde brand 1A10BC, some are ten to twelve years old but are still holding a charge well. I wouldn't bother to have one of them recharged if it were a plastic cap type. Kidde used to manufacture thiers in the USA, no doubt everything now is an import.

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #37  
We don't have a choice... must be serviced every year and then retired or hydro-tested every 12...

Hydro is less expensive... by a few dollars. Not convenient to have loaner extinguishers during the Hydro so we replace and give away the old ones...

I always buy USA made extinguishers... last time the difference on buying 24 extinguishers was less than a dollar per extinguisher.

Every other year we also do practice drills in the parking lot... each employee practices "PASS" (Pull the pin, Aim, Squeeze and Sweep)

We empty about 6 of them so everyone has a chance...

In the heat of the moment... many forget to pull the pin... even during the drill.

Almost forgot to answer the question...

I do have a fire extinguisher on my TLB, Van and Work Truck...

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor
Interesting that a extinguisher should be Horizontal. My tractor mounts the extinguisher horizontal, not vertical. And as I have no suspension is shakes like a mother.

But, the extinguisher is mounted on the engine cab. Go figure. going to have to reach through the hot flames to get my extinguisher.

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #39  
Interesting that a extinguisher should be Horizontal. My tractor mounts the extinguisher horizontal, not vertical. And as I have no suspension is shakes like a mother.

But, the extinguisher is mounted on the engine cab. Go figure. going to have to reach through the hot flames to get my extinguisher.

The only place I've seen a lot of Horizontal mounted extinguishers is on boats...

/ Is a fire extinguisher worth it on a tractor #40  
For all the reasons mentioned showing home fire extinguishers being a hope but not a promise of working, regardless of what the gauge says, I wonder if our mothers and grandmothers might not have had more common sense than we do today.
A box of baking soda and a big pan lid to smother a grease fire by the stove, as in their days would be a good back up for an iffy fire extinguisher. The fire extinguishers should still be available, particularly in/on motor vehicles but checked regularly.
I wonder if in the moment of a fire situation how many folks would shoot the extinguisher directly at the flame, spreading it, instead of using a sweeping motion to control and choke the flames source of air, as the Chief mentioned?
How many folks have ever really done a practice drill with a fire extinguisher?