Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Homemade

Default Re: Mowing in reverse

Seems like with a mid or front mount mower you'd have to back over someone before the mower hit them. Maybe you wouldn't be able to stop in time though when you felt the bump. I back up with my 6' rear brushhog sometimes, but there's never anyone else around. I always look back when I go in reverse. I hate to think what it would do to someone.

Tractor
    MF GC2410

My Husqvarna has the option to enable reverse mowing on the ignition. I need it activated because I do alot of backing up. When I do backup I am always looking or I only backup about a foot to change directions.
    2010 MF GC2410 TLB, 2006 Husqvarna YTH 2448, 2004 Honda Rincon 650, 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited-Hemi.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

My Polaris ATV has a reverse "safety" switch. Its impossible to back up while turned around and still hold the switch. Since had an auxillary toggle switch added to the cowling. Now I can even back up with a boat trailer hooked on AND watch where I'm going.....

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

Quote Originally Posted by NorTracNY View Post
    Sadly government will just make a law about it. Education is important, you can't legislate intelligence.
    I don't think any government, Federal, State or Local is going to make a law on reverse mowing with a mower. I do think the manufactures will go to some lengths to place a wall between themselves and the owners of mowers when it comes to being a party to a civil liability trial.

Quote Originally Posted by SandburRanch View Post
    Quote: aczlan - THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR USING YOUR BRAIN

If those accidents were investigated more in depth the root cause could probably be determined.

When alcohol is involved, in general, a human doesn't have a brain.
    I don't think a more indepth investigation is needed. The cause is very simple and well known, a nut was loose between the steering wheel and the seat.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HSTC, MF 5455

Why would you mow with kids (or anyone) around? Asking to eat a projectile.
    Why would you back up without looking? Never mind the mower, a tractor running over a kid isn't going to end well for the kid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12