Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

Default Dog chewed brake line on our truck.

While on a business trip I got a call from my wife. She just arrived home pulling a trailer with her Ford Exhibition, stepped on the brake and it just bottomed to the floor. Fortunately it was on flat part of the property so the truck rolled little farther and stopped. When I got home I checked the brake fluid and it was empty so I got under the truck and found chewed ABS cables and one ruptured hydraulic line. Later on I found piece of the ABS cable on our driveway so I know the culprit. Our new 6 month old lab.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Dog chewed brake line on our truck.

Check to see if your dog has recently taken out a very large life insurance policy on you.

Gold Member

That sounds a little scary. Was the dog the benificiary on an insurance policy?

edit: someone else got to it while I was trying to post

Tractor
    Kioti DK45se HST - Rhino 660 4X4 - Snapper Pro ZTR - Craftsmen Chipper/Vac

Well, if he got a bellyful of brake fluid and parts, he should stop better now.
    Doug P

Bronze Member

Mine ate the bricks on the corner of the house. He finally quit chewing at 2 years.

Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

My theory is that the brakes worked for the whole round trip until it gradually lost all the brake fluid just when she got home. There was an ABS warning but I guess it got ignored because the brakes worked until the last minute.
    The dog is going kind of expensive. All patio furniture is chewed up, mud flaps on truck are all gone but one, garden hoses have holes in them, lawnmower seat is all chewed up. Doggy door flap is gone and there is more to discover I suppose.

Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by Travelover View Post
    Check to see if your dog has recently taken out a very large life insurance policy on you.
    I don't think so. She too young to know how to read and write.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck in training View Post
    My theory is that the brakes worked for the whole round trip until it gradually lost all the brake fluid just when she got home. There was an ABS warning but I guess it got ignored because the brakes worked until the last minute.
    The dog is going kind of expensive. All patio furniture is chewed up, mud flaps on truck are all gone but one, garden hoses have holes in them, lawnmower seat is all chewed up. Doggy door flap is gone and there is more to discover I suppose.
    Time to put some tabasco in a spray bottle, or some ammonia in one if you can catch him at it...

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

Thanks for the laughs! Time to spend some time with the little mutt and show him good options for chewing and bad. When we were training Service dogs for handicapped people we used a good strong spray bottle with a good solution of vinegar/water in it to correct them when you caught them in the act. Not after because if you blast them after they have gone away they don't know why they are in trouble. I am glad your Wife unit wasn't hurt. If you do give him something that is good to chew on make sure it isn't something that if he eats and clogs his plumbing that you will be paying an expensive vet bill or digging a hole in the back 40 for him. When the dogs were counter surfing or getting up on stuff they weren't supposed to we would mix up a really strong paste of hot sauce or chinese mustard. Then leave it on the edge where they might try to find food.. Ever seen a dog with it's eyes watering from Hot Sauce?
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 5105, 3005, and '49 8n

A friend at work has a black lab that liked to chew the brake light wires on his F150. After several thrashings, the dog figured that was not a good thing to do.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast