Figuring the weight of obects

/ Figuring the weight of obects #21  
Materials that hold water need their densities state "wet" or "dry". A wet poplar log is LOTS heavier than a dry one, but a block of granite (or gold, if you have one:)) won't differ appreciably in weight whether wet or dry.
BOB

/ Figuring the weight of obects #22  
Materials that hold water need their densities state "wet" or "dry". A wet poplar log is LOTS heavier than a dry one, but a block of granite (or gold, if you have one:)) won't differ appreciably in weight whether wet or dry.
BOB

I wish you had reminded me about that fact before I tried to pick up and toss a "40lb" bag of peat moss that had laid around for two years in the weather. Thing must have weighed over 100lbs easy.

/ Figuring the weight of obects #23  
Best tool I ever bought for estimateing anything is the Thomas J. Glover DeskRef guide. It has every formula for figureing weights, area, volumes, pipe sizing, steel, wire, surveying, welding, and on and on. I have a desktop version as well as a pocket version and have found it to be an invaluable tool in my toolbox. You still have to do the math, but the formulas are in the book

/ Figuring the weight of obects
If you kick it real hard and it moves... it is probably not that heavy. If, after you kick it, it barely moves or doesn't even shudder... it probably is pretty heavy.... :) I took a rigging class YEARS ago, and they dealt with figuring out approximate weights of objects [ steel, rocks, machines, wood structures, etc. ]. I am sure there are sites on the net if you do an 'estimater' search.... Good luck, Jerry.......

Very funny. I'll try that. Maybe even refine it a tad and use my head or fist:laughing:

/ Figuring the weight of obects #25  
BOB

I can verify that the gold bricks we have at work are the same wet or dry.

When we checked them we found they were the same....worthless.

/ Figuring the weight of obects #26  
sparc said:
I can verify that the gold bricks we have at work are the same wet or dry.

When we checked them we found they were the same....worthless.

I sure hope u don't work at fort Knox or any of the fed reserve banks. That would be discouraging.

/ Figuring the weight of obects #27  
I sure hope u don't work at fort Knox or any of the fed reserve banks. That would be discouraging.

Urban Dictionary: goldbricking

goldbricking

To loaf or goof around on the job. Supposedly an old union term describing laborers (or more specifically, bricklayers) who were going so slow, it was as if each brick were made of solid gold. One can also be referred to as a "goldbricker".

Steve

/ Figuring the weight of obects #28  
Best tool I ever bought for estimateing anything is the Thomas J. Glover DeskRef guide. It has every formula for figureing weights, area, volumes, pipe sizing, steel, wire, surveying, welding, and on and on. I have a desktop version as well as a pocket version and have found it to be an invaluable tool in my toolbox. You still have to do the math, but the formulas are in the book

I have the pocket version in my shop setting right beside my magnifying glass. They both come in handy. :thumbsup:

/ Figuring the weight of obects #29  
I will try and lift something with the bucket or grapple and if nothing happens then I estimate it is to heavy for the tractor to lift. If the bucket or grapple lifts it then I can estimate it is not to heavy to move. Simple deductive reasoning. Though I will overestimate with pi and believe I can eat two slices when one was plenty sufficient

/ Figuring the weight of obects #30  
I got real good at estimating stuff after I took that rigging class years ago. But my wifey threw all my books and tables away when one day I estimated something that she did not think was a bit amuzing ................... :)