My dad's favorite saying about safety

/ My dad's favorite saying about safety #11  
"one hand for yourself and one for the ship"

In other words, work with one hand if you must, but never give up your connection to the vessel, for safety's sake.

My dad was a commercial fisherman (west coast and Alaska), as well as in the Merchant Marine during WWII.

/ My dad's favorite saying about safety #12  
If you are gonna be stupid you better be tough

/ My dad's favorite saying about safety #16  
Years ago, when I was just learning auto mechanics, I was put with an old mechanic, Mr. McGuines. That old man moved and worked at a snail's pace but turned out more jobs in a week than any other 2 techs in the shop. You see, he never made a false move, no wasted movement.

Me--on the other hand, I rushed through every task I had just to show how good I was, or so I thought. Most of what I did, I had to redo at some time or another. Mr. McGuines warned me time and time again. He would watch me rushing through a transmission rebuild and with a smile he'd say, "DO IT NICE OR DO IT TWICE"

I would discount what he said and continue on with my soon to be "come-back". When the job did come back and I was repairing it on MY time, he was there to remind me. I can still see him standing behind me with his hands in his pockets, smiling and shaking his head saying "NEVER TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, BUT ALWAYS TIME TO DO IT OVER"

I learned a lot from that old man, much more than auto mechanics.