My dad's favorite saying about safety

/ My dad's favorite saying about safety #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Before he retired, my father was the chief of the Industrial Safety Divison of the Michigan Dept. of Labor, and as he worked up through the ranks from beginning as an investigator, he saw and reported on the aftermath of many deaths and injuries involving defective, weak or carelessly used ladders. He loved to tell people:

"A cheaply made or unsafe ladder combined with careless use, can become one of the most expensive tools you will ever buy or use....."

SO TRUE !!!

/ My dad's favorite saying about safety #2  
My dad's saying about motorcycles:

" There's only two ways to ride a motorcycle-like an old man or like a **** fool."

/ My dad's favorite saying about safety #3  
Mine:

"Watch what you're doing, Steel doesn't feel pain."

/ My dad's favorite saying about safety #4  
I tell my kids. "there's almost no such thing as an unavoidable accident"

/ My dad's favorite saying about safety #5  
My Dad was in his thirties when he landed in Occupied France during the Allied invasion. He fought his way through France , and was sent to watch the Skyline Drive near Wyler in Luxembourg, for some much needed rest. They thought it would remain a quiet area where the 110th Infantry Regiment of the 28th Infantry Division could lick their wounds and recoup a bit. Unfortunately, he was caught in Germany's final drive in the Ardennes. He made it through, or I would not be here today, but not without scars, seen and unseen... He was a tough old bird, but he was fair and had a heart. I can't repeat any of his favorite sayings here for obvious reasons, but I learned an awful lot from his teachings, and the man himself... sometimes, I'm sure without him even realizing it. He was ALWAYS there when I need him, and i could tell him ANYTHING. He's been gone nearly forty years, and I still miss his presence and counsel every day!

/ My dad's favorite saying about safety #6  
It's impossible to make anything foolproof, because idiots are so ingenious.

Take Care,
Doug in SW IA

/ My dad's favorite saying about safety #7  
my wife's " Safety's free, use it generously"

/ My dad's favorite saying about safety #8  
My Dad's was alot like DOUGTRR2's ... "When you make anything foolproof- they just go and make a better fool!"

/ My dad's favorite saying about safety #9  
Mine: "Rushing through a job will only get you to the scene of an accident quicker".

/ My dad's favorite saying about safety #10  
It doesn't take any longer to do a job safely because you only have to do it once - uninjured.