I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #41  
The closest town with a tractor shop and welding is about 20 miles round trip from where I live. I have driven that trip several times on a couple of different tractors. I haven't noticed any wear on their tires. Just have to watch for people on cell phones etc.

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #42  
How about tire wear on R1 tires? Would a 20 mile round trip on asphalt cause significant wear? That's what concerns me our two properties are about 10 miles apart on lightly traveled roads. We always trailer but it's tempting to drive the tractor over occasionally. But I worry about wear.

A few times a year aint gonna hurt a thing. But if you do it weekly, them you might notice some wear.

Just remember to take it out of 4wd if applicable

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #43  
I have to mowe the ditch in front of our house, we have ?700? feet of road front. You can't do it without getting on the road, always on a look out for a fast driving idjit.
When the tractor was new to me, I hooked up a trailer to it to deliver few hay bails to local church for nativity scene; took the kids and a dog for a hay ride on roads. Local roads and not much traffic, we had fun but never done it again.

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #44  
It seems to me that driving a tractor on a road depends on 'wavers'. If you are on the dirt roads where people still wave to everyone they pass, in a vehicle or not then you should be ok on the tractor. As soon as you get onto the larger roads with the outta my way cell phone drivers then things become dicey.
I live in a smaller town of around 8000 people surrounded by corn and soy beans. Our only traffic jams are at the schools (start and stop) and around the elevator (just redesigned traffic pattern, hopefully they can get the farmers in and out quicker.
We watch the harvest in our back yard and have utility tractors pulling grain carts into town all fall long.
No real problems in town or on the dirt roads.
Now on Rt 50 (4 lane highway) it is another story. I have watched cars a few times try to hit combines with 30'+ headers on them. The combines are only on the highway for a mile or two getting from field to field, but people are too impatient and distracted to notice.
The closest we ever was was a combine going about 1/2 mile down 50 to get to another local rd, header off the side of the road but still crossing into the on coming lanes. I saw him from a mile or 2 away (flat straight road) and slowed down knowing that they would be turning soon. Some idiot sped past us and I told my daughter this could get ugly. Driver never even noticed the combine/header until almost on top of him, then quickly changed lanes (and probably shorts too).
If I get behind some combines on the highway I just drop back, put on the flashers and ride closer to the shoulder watching my rearview. I'm in no hurry, let the other idiots try to fly around them.
Actually my daughter and I like watching the machinery, we have a hard time passing by a field being worked without slowing down to look. If it's an older articulated machine we will probably turn back around and park to watch for a while. I really love my little girl, she even calls out tractors or other machinery to look at.
She also calls out drivers on cell phones or doing other dumb things. She is 6. Why the heck can't adults have the common sense of a 6 yr old?
Just last weekend leaving her soccer game I yelled at some lady who pulled onto the road while starting to text on her phone, with hundreds of kids all around. She had to be a parent with kids at the game. What is so important that she couldn't have stayed parked for another 30 seconds.
I just wish I had a tractor to drive on the road.
I also slow down or get off the shoulder when equipment is coming down the smaller roads at me, I know that they don't have the control or a car and hitting a bump can cause them to move around. Common courtesy and self preservation on my part. Very rarely do I not get a wave of thanks, all these guys want to do is keep working and keep feeding us.
It adds all of 30 seconds to my trip, I can live with that.
And then there is basic physics. Once again my 6 yr old knows-
Person vs car, person looses.
Car vs large truck or machine- car looses
Anything vs train- train wins, pieces scattered for a mile.
I think that punishment for acting like an idiot while driving around farm equipment should be 'no soup for you'. Live on your own harvested food for a week and then see if you have some respect for our Great American farmers.

Happy labor day weekend.

Matt

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #45  
Do tractors need to be registered when driving on the road? I'd like to drive a couple miles to help out some different friends and would rather drive on the road than trailer it the short distance.

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #46  
In Texas you need a Slow Moving Vehicle sign on the back...and i don't think the interstates are allowed. Otherwise, it's OK, using good judgement.

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #47  
In most of Europe farmers don't live on farms but in the village so tractors traveling on roads between fields and the village are common sight. Tractors are also used to haul stuff to moderate distances (in range around 10 -15 miles one way) so most smaller tractors have so called highway gear allowing them to reach 35 mph. Some tractors can go faster than that but they have (don't know if it is required) front wheel suspension and brakes on all four wheels.

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #48  
Do tractors need to be registered when driving on the road? I'd like to drive a couple miles to help out some different friends and would rather drive on the road than trailer it the short distance.

Contact your state police to determine what, if anything, is required.
For your own benefit, you'd want an SMV sign and flashers...along with good judgement.

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #49  
... I have watched cars a few times try to hit combines with 30'+ headers on them. Matt

Matt, are you saying that you've seen cars swerve at a combine trying to actually cause a crash?????!!!

...Why the heck can't adults have the common sense of a 6 yr old?

Well I think that it's because your little girl has the common sense of an adult due to your involvment with her. The other drivers actually do have the common sense of a 6 yr old! Good for you. I was the same w my son (starting at 3-4 yrs old) always explaining why I was speeding up/slowing down/changing lanes etc. He's a very safe driver today.