I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
   / I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #2  
Me too, and I do it very infrequently.
It's bad enough with a full sized Utility, but a compact or subcompact is worse.

I've never had a close call (knock on wood), but I have seen a number of tractor operators running older machines (8N or MF 135 sized) without warning flashers on secondary roads...I think that's pretty foolish.

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #3  
Agreed, I have not driven my Kioti on the road yet, and don't intend to, I drove the last Kubota on the road only a couple of times. A full size tractor with a a cab, that can go faster, would not be as bad as a low CUT for sure, but the best way to road a tractor is a nice trailer. Maybe some relatively untraveled dirt road to go from field to field would be OK, but in general when you try to road a tractor on a well traveled road you are setting yourself up for trouble with impatient drivers.

James K0UA

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #4  
For right or wrong, I see lots of tractors on our roads around around here, everywhere between four lane divided highways and little county roads - some new with flashers and some old with nothing. I'm guilty of both, but most of the time I use my Kioti that still has functioning flashers. If it's an older tractor like our Ford 2000 that had no lights to speak of, I usually have someone follow me with flashers on it.

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #5  
If I go on the road, I have flashers (on the tractor and on the implement if applicable), a "rotating beacon" high, near the back and a new style SMV sign. If someone hits me, it will be their fault.

Aaron Z

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #6  
If you have a plate on it, you are entitled to use the road as anyone else. Of course, you should always have your slow moving vehicle placard displayed, use flashers if equipped, time your travel to coincide with minimal traffic (if possible), and use the side of the road to let others pass if practical. Bad driving habits seem to be endemic these days, with idiots talking on cell phones or texting while they should be paying attention.

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #7  
Not a fan of driving on roads as well, but I have done it. The 5410 can do 25 MPH, which is an okay speed, flasher's up high on the canopy as well. The 110 is much slower (15MPH), but has flashers high on the canopy as well. If possible, I avoid it. But I just can't swallow the ~$4k it would take for me to have a safe trailer to haul and I'm not going to rent a trailer to go a couple miles.

My biggest concern is not if I get hurt or my tractor gets damaged, but what would happen to the people in the car. A bunch of heavy duty steel is protecting me. Should someone brush the back of me they'll be in a lot more hurt than me and damaged car. I'd see little impact and little damage. Unless of course we're talking about a full sized semi, but they are a little smarter than the mini van drivers.

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #8  
My biggest concern is not if I get hurt or my tractor gets damaged, but what would happen to the people in the car. A bunch of heavy duty steel is protecting me. Should someone brush the back of me they'll be in a lot more hurt than me and damaged car. I'd see little impact and little damage. Unless of course we're talking about a full sized semi, but they are a little smarter than the mini van drivers.
There was someone on here a few years back who got hit when driving on the road (clearing snow perhaps?), it was head on and the car hit the front tire which totaled the tractor (snapped the axle, broke the oilpan, messed up the engine, etc).

As long as they don't hit head on and are buckled in, it shouldn't be too bad for those in the car. If they are doing 60 and you are doing 20, the closing speed will be 40 and it shouldn't be too bad of a crash.

IIRC, FWJ had someone (drunk) hit one of his (parked) ROW mowing tractors and walk away from it. Bent the rear axle and I think messed up where the axle comes out of.
In this case, the tractor driver was not belted in (as he was thrown out) and I would hazard a guess that those in the car weren't either...

Aaron Z

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #9  
There was someone on here a few years back who got hit when driving on the road (clearing snow perhaps?), it was head on and the car hit the front tire which totaled the tractor (snapped the axle, broke the oilpan, messed up the engine, etc).

As long as they don't hit head on and are buckled in, it shouldn't be too bad for those in the car. If they are doing 60 and you are doing 20, the closing speed will be 40 and it shouldn't be too bad of a crash.

IIRC, FWJ had someone (drunk) hit one of his (parked) ROW mowing tractors and walk away from it. Bent the rear axle and I think messed up where the axle comes out of.
In this case, the tractor driver was not belted in (as he was thrown out) and I would hazard a guess that those in the car weren't either...

Aaron Z

I'm not saying it can't happen. And with modern crumple zone's and airbags, the passengers will likely be okay. But as I travel down the road with my 110 and the 2000# steel backhoe dangling off the back and a FEL, I'd be more worried about it tearing a chunk out of the car.

/ I've always "hated" driving a tractor on roads #10  
I'm not saying it can't happen. And with modern crumple zone's and airbags, the passengers will likely be okay. But as I travel down the road with my 110 and the 2000# steel backhoe dangling off the back and a FEL, I'd be more worried about it tearing a chunk out of the car.
In our case, we dont have a backhoe, so if we are driving down the road, we have the bushhog (good crumple zone) or a trailer (haywagon, tedder, baler, etc) on the back.

Not as bad to hit one of those as a BH.

Aaron Z