How not to unhook trailer from tractor.

/ How not to unhook trailer from tractor. #1  

Redneck in training

Elite Member
Tractor
TYM 330 HST with FEL
Since we have draught we use pond water to water trees. I put two 55 gal barrels on my single axle trailer and fill them at the hydrant down the pond dam. I position the barrels such a way that the trailer has some weight on the tongue. So far so good. Then I pulled the trailer uphill and since I needed the tractor for other task I unhooked the hitch. The trailer swung violently back and the tongue missed my chin just by an inch. What happened is that when pulling the trailer the barrels mowed about a foot back wards so the weight was on the back of the trailer. If the tongue hit me it could easily break my neck or kill me on the spot.

/ How not to unhook trailer from tractor. #2  
I always hook up the chains, and never un-hook them until I am confident that the trailer is stable. So, my un-hooking procedure would be: chock the wheels; un-hook the coupler; lower the jack and raise the coupler off the ball; confirm that the trailer is not wanting to roll and is resting on the chocks; un-hook the chains, electrical connection, and emergency brake activation line.

If the trailer happens to be tail-heavy, the tongue will want to pop up, but the chains will catch it, hopefully before it hits me anywhere vital.

/ How not to unhook trailer from tractor. #3  
And don't straddle the tongue when unhitching.

Bruce

/ How not to unhook trailer from tractor. #5  
Lower landing gear. When dropping a loaded trailer, you should crank the gear down farther than if you were dropping an empty. With an empty, when the dollies, or landing gear legs, touch the ground, crank another 3-4 turns in low gear. With a loaded trailer, when the dollies touch the ground, crank another 6-8 turns in low gear.Disconnect and store air lines and electrical cable.Pull Fifth Wheel Release Arm. Some Fifth Wheels are easier to release than others. You can buy a Fifth Wheel puller for approximately $12-$15 at most truckstops. It is a long metal bar with a hooked end that gives you leverage to make it easier to pull the Release Arm. They also help to keep you cleaner. Some drivers use meat hooks as fifth wheel pullers but the ones sold at truck stops are usually easier to use because they are longer.

Link removed

Last edited:
   / How not to unhook trailer from tractor. #6  
Do you have two extra barrels? If so leave in place and transfer the water.
I picked up a boat bilge pump...around $24 or more depending on GPH flow. I extended the wires and added two clips and a piece of hose - about 15'.
I drive up to the placed barrels with two filled barrels - usually on loader, throw the pump in and connect the clips to the battery and pump into empty barrels.
It usually takes about 15 minutes or so. I do this for my pigs in the pasture. While they are filling I feed and do a general inspection of electric fence etc.

I actually use another set of barrels placed below rain spouts to fill - fill from there with empty barrels on loader... took a couple of years to figure out.

Rule® Non-Automatic Bilge Pumps | Bass Pro Shops

Lloyd

/ How not to unhook trailer from tractor. #7  
I normally leave the jack so the tonque is just high enough to back the ball under it. Once its under I raise the 3pth so the jack is safely in the air. From that point it depends on weither I am carrying a load and how far I want to travel. Some loads require that I latch the hitch and hook on the chains, others just raise a 1 7/8 ball into a 2 5/16 hitch....

/ How not to unhook trailer from tractor. #9  
Ladia, since you were going uphill, the force of gravity shifted aft even if the barrels did not. If you had solids in the barrels, it might not be as dramatic of a shift, but fluid seeks its level and shifts weight rearward. I suspect you were close on the balance when you began and that made the shift many pounds more than needed to send the tongue skyward with force. I would suggest using shorter/fatter containers or moving them much farther forward on your trailer if possible. Also you might leave the rear barrel only 3/4 full to compensate.

I'm sure glad you are safe and able to report your surprise. :thumbsup:

/ How not to unhook trailer from tractor.
It definitely opened my eyes to the fact that one can be hurt or killed unexpectedly way. The trailer was already pulled to level place when I unlatched the coupling. Since the trailer bed is relatively short and high and tongue is long the end of the tongue ended up about six feet high. It swung up at such speed that I am sure it could do pretty severe damage to my body if it would hit me.