Dumb question: tractor + electric fence

/ Dumb question: tractor + electric fence #1  

jfouse

Tractor
Kubota L4300DT
We have an electric fence up around our garden to keep critters out, but whenever I go around it with the finish mower I'm a little iffy on whether I need to worry about how close the tractor gets to the wire. Mostly thinking sparks around a big diesel engine might not be the best scenario. Is this a reasonable concern, or nothing to worry about?

/ Dumb question: tractor + electric fence #2  
I just unplug mine while I am mowing. I don't think the amount of power to the fence would be an issue, but turning it off seems easy enough in my case.

Jon

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Dumb question: tractor + electric fence #3  
Unplugging it is very easy to do if it makes you feel better. But the truth is, you have nothing to worry about. My biggest fear is, did I remember to plug it back in?

/ Dumb question: tractor + electric fence #4  
Mark Twain: “A cat who sits on a hot stove will never sit on a hot stove again. But he won’t sit on a cold stove, either.”

If your tractor gets shocked, you won't ever be able to mow close to the fence again, even if it is turned off.

:)

Bruce

/ Dumb question: tractor + electric fence #5  
The truth is, your tractor nor you will get shocked since you are insulated by the rubber tires. Even if you did, it is not enough amperage to make a spark although the voltage might be 5000v or more, it is not enough amps to do you any damage although it does tingle a bit when you touch one. It really isnt the amount of damage that the fence does to animals rather the unexpected jolt that makes them not want to touch it more than once. I had my 5 month old German Shepherd pup run into one a few days ago and he would not come near the white cord to come back across the fence. I had to go over, pick him up and carry him back across. Now thanks to his full grown next door neighbor running mate, he knows how to duck under it. Man that neighbor dog is teaching him all kinds of bad thinks like how to open doors @3months old, how to cool off in the pond complete with mud top to bottom, how to chase chickens (he has caught a couple but not damaged them so far) and how to make believe dog fight which they do all the time.

/ Dumb question: tractor + electric fence #6  
I had my 5 month old German Shepherd pup run into one a few days ago and he would not come near the white cord to come back across the fence. I had to go over, pick him up and carry him back across. Now thanks to his full grown next door neighbor running mate, he knows how to duck under it. Man that neighbor dog is teaching him all kinds of bad thinks like how to open doors @3months old, how to cool off in the pond complete with mud top to bottom, how to chase chickens (he has caught a couple but not damaged them so far) and how to make believe dog fight which they do all the time.

My black lab mix will either go 1/4 mile around the edge and find a high spot to go under, or will lay on his side and crawl under an electric fence. Its not like he can't just jump over it. I have seen him clear a 4 strand barbed wire fence to chase a rabbit.

/ Dumb question: tractor + electric fence #7  
That is the beauty of electric fence, once shocked most animals fear them once shocked even though it doesnt physically hurt them and they can smell the current when it is hot so they stay away.

/ Dumb question: tractor + electric fence #8  
diesel is combustable.. gasoline is flamable.

the electric fence likely poses 0.000000001% threat to you or the tractor...

if you are getting close enough to touch the wire though.. you are liekly close enough to rip the fence down...

if mowing and you did touch the fence.. the electrons will follow a path to ground. probably thru sheet metal to frame.. then to hitch.. then to mower to blades, and to the grass it's cutting.. etc..
soundguy

/ Dumb question: tractor + electric fence #9  
Takes a rare situation for a person to get as bad a shock as an animal. Try touching one with your hand on the ground.
larry

/ Dumb question: tractor + electric fence #10  
The truth is, your tractor nor you will get shocked since you are insulated by the rubber tires. Even if you did, it is not enough amperage to make a spark although the voltage might be 5000v or more, it is not enough amps to do you any damage although it does tingle a bit when you touch one. It really isnt the amount of damage that the fence does to animals rather the unexpected jolt that makes them not want to touch it more than once. I had my 5 month old German Shepherd pup run into one a few days ago and he would not come near the white cord to come back across the fence. I had to go over, pick him up and carry him back across. Now thanks to his full grown next door neighbor running mate, he knows how to duck under it. Man that neighbor dog is teaching him all kinds of bad thinks like how to open doors @3months old, how to cool off in the pond complete with mud top to bottom, how to chase chickens (he has caught a couple but not damaged them so far) and how to make believe dog fight which they do all the time.

problem is, mower blades are touching grass / ground. along with deck itself if it has any skid shoes on it are touching ground as well. and in that by passing rubber tires completely.

they can and do make nice spark and some times up to 1/2" plus in length of spark. tested hot fences way to many times, using a screw driver, holding it against hot wire, then barely holding it down to the regular mesh fence. to a point were i can see spark / hear the crack / snap noise.

i will unplug the hot fence. just to be safe, knowing my luck, if i do hit the tractor with it, i would end up frying something. with all the electrical sensors and switches on them.