Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Default Re: New thief scam

Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    How does getting someone's home address from their car GPS make for a more lucrative heist? I don't see the point.
    Poor people don't have GPS units in their car? I think the idea is to be able to know when you are not home, it lowers the thief's risk, not necessarily the value of the items. Another thing to remember is to have friends house sit during weddings and funerals. Those are often events that the time and date are widely enough known to present some risk.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    Kubota L3700SUHST

Thieves only use the home address in the Mercedes, they skip anything found on the gps in the Yugo.
    Kubota L3700SUHST, AG-Meier Mohawk 5' Rotary Cutter, Armstrong AG 5' Boxblade, Armstrong AG 5' Landscape Rake
    Scotts 50560x8 50" Riding Mower

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    CT235

Local police inform us that the most common way to steal a car now, is to enter the house and pick the keys up off the counter..... No damage, no alarms.
    Tim.

OK. So the way it works is.

Thief looks in cars sitting at someones place of work. ie gone for the day.
    Thief looks in cars for "Garage Door Openers" and GPS. Steals the opener and looks up your address on the GPS.
    Robs your garage first then try's the house in case only your house has an alarm.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    YM3110D

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Someone sent me that e-mail a long time ago, but since my old vehicles don't have GPS . . .. I do roll up the windows and lock the doors and there's certainly never any credit cards left in a vehicle.
    In my case, my Dodge is so old and ratty I've returned on 2 occasions to find where someone left a 10 spot under the wiper with a message to the effect that I needed the cash worse than they did ...

I'm more afraid when I park it, I'll return one day and find it was stolen for its scrap metal value...
    Who ever heard of Chinese hip hop??!! What the @#$% is that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by farmfun View Post
    In my case, my Dodge is so old and ratty I've returned on 2 occasions to find where someone left a 10 spot under the wiper with a message to the effect that I needed the cash worse than they did ...

I'm more afraid when I park it, I'll return one day and find it was stolen for its scrap metal value...
    I used to have a co-worker who drove an old ragged International Scout and another of our co-workers got a big bumper sticker and put it on the back window of the Scout that said "THIS IS NOT AN ABANDONED VEHICLE".
    Bird

I'm more afraid when I park it, I'll return one day and find it was stolen for its scrap metal value... [/QUOTE]

As Larry would say..........Now thats funny dont care who ya R.....

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I have heard of thieves breaking into cars at events like football, baseball games and getting addresses then robbing the house because they know how long you will be gone. My next door neighbor was cleaned out while they were at church with neighbors at home next door on both sides and across the street. They came in from the wooded area behind the house, took out some boards on the fence and hauled everything out thru the back. No security alarm in the house and middle of summer everyone of the neighbor was shut in under the AC.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    1981 Yanmar 336D

Moral of the story.. get yourself an ED209.. preferably with a working override.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ― Aristotle

Yanmar 1981 YM336D

From this . . . . To this

Check out the full restoration project: Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 . . . . Adding gauges? How-to

Gold Member
    Tractor
    YM3110D

Quote Originally Posted by chopped View Post
    As Larry would say..........Now thats funny dont care who ya R.....[/QUOTE]

Its really happening around the big city of Atlanta and its interstates ... you leave older vehicles at your OWN risk!
    Who ever heard of Chinese hip hop??!! What the @#$% is that!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12