New thief scam

/ New thief scam #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
I just got an email about thieves punching a small hole right below the lock handle on passenger side of car to unlock the door get what they are after and relock the door. Said the scam is that they sometimes dont steal anything but your home address on your GPS then rob your house when you leave OR they take one of two of your credit cards if purse left in car and use them for sometimes days before you realize they are gone. Anyone else got this email? Is it fact or fancy?>

/ New thief scam #3  
I haven't seen that email Gary, but I've always kept in mind that a real pro can be in and out of just about any car, and never leave a trace. Not talking about kids or crackheads, they leave plenty of damage.

With that in mind, I never leave my wallet or ccards in my vehicle.

If true, maybe a good decoy strategy is to program your neighbour's address in your GPS as Home - if you are lucky, your neighbour is the still-in-shape-ex-Marine, who is always home, cleaning his guns. :thumbsup:

Many of these emails are just scare-mongering, but do have some valid points amongst the noise.

Stay safe. D.

/ New thief scam
I have seen the advice many years ago on not programing in your home address. If you need it, put in an address a few blocks from your house rather than your actual home. I dont know how anyone could punch a hole like that without setting off an alarm. My wifes car is so sensitive that just the sound of a nearby car door slamming, not next to but within 50 feet sometimes sets it off. Rain sets it off also, but that is really too sensitive and PIA as you cant arm it when outside in the rain.

/ New thief scam #6  
Someone sent me that e-mail a long time ago, but since my old vehicles don't have GPS . . ..:laughing: I do roll up the windows and lock the doors and there's certainly never any credit cards left in a vehicle.

/ New thief scam #7  
Unless the offender is somebody who already knows you and is acting maliciously towards you specifically, I don't see how getting your home address is any more attractive to him than any other random house he might find just driving through a neighborhood. What makes your address from your GPS any better than any other address?

/ New thief scam #8  
Even those without a gps are at risk. one look at the auto registration and the burgler has your home address anyway............

/ New thief scam #9  
How does getting someone's home address from their car GPS make for a more lucrative heist? I don't see the point.

/ New thief scam #10  
Perhaps the bad guys maintain a Members Only site that lists addresses of people traveling far from home by car ?

Mostly I'm joking, but OTOH, not much would surprise me in this area/age.

Some people post their travel plans on Facebook. Kind of like shooting fish in a barrel for the bad guys.

:rolleyes: Rgds, D.