Weird Deaths

/ Weird Deaths #1  

mjarrels

Elite Member
Tractor
1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.
Two killed when Md train derails. Just found out one was a local college student. What are the odds of being killed by loaded coal railroad cars falling on you from a rr over pass? I use to have a saying that the only way a plane would kill me is if it fell on me. Falling rail road cars, thats bazar.

mark

/ Weird Deaths #2  
And did you see the guy who had his pickup clipped when a plane with engine trouble had to use the highway on which the pickup was driving as an emergency landing strip yesterday? Fortunately only paint damage to both the truck and plane but you never know. I often get this strange feeling when waiting at railroad crossings - what if then train derails right now? I wouldn't stand a chance.

/ Weird Deaths #3  
In my 22 years working in EMS- certainly saw many who "should have" died and those that did without much to "cause" it. I guess when your time is up..........

/ Weird Deaths #4  
Coming up to a marked and gated crossing one day, the wife and I observed a carload of ?? darkskinned people coming from the opposite direction. The driver just drove all the way onto the double tracks, came to a stop, looked both ways, then safely'?!' continued on! That could have been bad.

/ Weird Deaths #6  
Two killed when Md train derails. Just found out one was a local college student. What are the odds of being killed by loaded coal railroad cars falling on you from a rr over pass? I use to have a saying that the only way a plane would kill me is if it fell on me. Falling rail road cars, thats bazar.

mark

I'd been in Ellicott City many times in my life...never walked across that bridge but drove under it (as one must when entering Ellicott City). There's a bar on one side of the bridge...used to be a rough and rowdy place, but I think it's gentrified now.
Anyway, that bridge is pretty narrow.

Back when I was a teenager, a kid (late teens) crawled under a train that had stopped on the Thomas Viaduct (look that up) which is a few miles outside Ellicott City. As he was crawling, the train started moving. He was trisected. I was riding with my Dad on patrol at a local State Park (Patapsco...look that up too) when the call came in. The surprising thing was how little blood there was, even through he had been cut into three pieces.