Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Farmtrac 360 DTC with FEL & John Deere 5093E with FEL

Default Re: Q on electrical safety gloves and boots

Trimming a few small limbs from around your tri-plex insulated house service is not a big deal, as others have said a good dry pair of leather gloves is what we used to use for years to handle bare secondary's. You should not have to handle the wire at all, if a limb gets hung on the service use your fiberglass handle pole saw to get it off, as someone else said a little common sense goes a long way, you know what your capabilities are, stay within them and you won't have any problems.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

i chicken out, and will call a tree service company that is "insured" to come out and deal with the branches.

once a year i see tree service trucks making rounds on all roads. cutting back trees from lines. i have called power company, and asked to be put on a list for next time they are around to deal with branches. few months later branches are taken care of that are near the power lines.
    Ryan

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Buy new gloves. Many surplus places sell rubber gloves but you have no idea why they were taken out of service (time, cut? whatever). Check them before use by rolling them to check for air leaks (air leak = break in insulation = bad day).

Silky saws are amongst the best out there, but considering your use, have a look at the Jameson poles.Most are actual "hot sticks" and tested as such. Then you can add a saw or pruner head (insulated cord available as well). Price should end up being about the same or less than the Silky unit.

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    If the trees are between the transformer and before the meter isn't it the power company to be called.
    it is thiers until meter is installed. then your responcibility.
    Rubber gloves are used by those who under stand the reason needed.

Remember no body wants you to look like fried bacon.

ken
    Nope - When I called the power companies they told me their responsibility ended at the pole, both in Mississippi and Virginia. In Virginia they wouldn't even recommend a contractor. They will drop the power for me or a contractor but that can take days to line up and then they couldn't tell me what day it would be turned back on. They try to make it within a day, but sometimes it takes longer, and weekends are out. Thus if I schedule a drop for Wednesday they MIGHT get the drop done on Wednesday or Thursday. And if I get the line dropped on Thursday the power might be out until Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    Trimming a few small limbs from around your tri-plex insulated house service is not a big deal, as others have said a good dry pair of leather gloves is what we used to use for years to handle bare secondary's. You should not have to handle the wire at all, if a limb gets hung on the service use your fiberglass handle pole saw to get it off, as someone else said a little common sense goes a long way, you know what your capabilities are, stay within them and you won't have any problems.
    I definitely don't plan on handling the wire. Not even getting close. And rubber gloves inside leather gloves. Should I plan on any special boots?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    Buy new gloves. Many surplus places sell rubber gloves but you have no idea why they were taken out of service (time, cut? whatever). Check them before use by rolling them to check for air leaks (air leak = break in insulation = bad day).

Silky saws are amongst the best out there, but considering your use, have a look at the Jameson poles.Most are actual "hot sticks" and tested as such. Then you can add a saw or pruner head (insulated cord available as well). Price should end up being about the same or less than the Silky unit.
    Thanks, when I price the Jameson's at Bailey's (and the Marvin) they are a lot less expensive. a Jameson 2 pole set plus 2 more 6' poles only runs about $220.

And I'd no sooner buy used safety gloves than used condoms.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all
    My saws - JD CS 62, efco 3500, Stihls - 021, 660 w/woods mod, 660 w/ DP muffler, 088, Woodmizer LT10

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Quote Originally Posted by newbury View Post
    Nope - When I called the power companies they told me their responsibility ended at the pole, both in Mississippi and Virginia. In Virginia they wouldn't even recommend a contractor. They will drop the power for me or a contractor but that can take days to line up and then they couldn't tell me what day it would be turned back on. They try to make it within a day, but sometimes it takes longer, and weekends are out. Thus if I schedule a drop for Wednesday they MIGHT get the drop done on Wednesday or Thursday. And if I get the line dropped on Thursday the power might be out until Monday.

I definitely don't plan on handling the wire. Not even getting close. And rubber gloves inside leather gloves. Should I plan on any special boots?

Thanks, when I price the Jameson's at Bailey's (and the Marvin) they are a lot less expensive. a Jameson 2 pole set plus 2 more 6' poles only runs about $220.

Jameson makes several different models of pole, I believe its the JE and FG that are tested with high voltage.

Lol on the uses condom thing..

Reminds me of a joke:
    How do you reuse a condom... turn it inside out and shake the xxxx out of it

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Farmtrac 360 DTC with FEL & John Deere 5093E with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by newbury View Post

You are more than safe if you are not going to be touching the wire with the safety equipment that you say you are going to be using, but if it makes you feel better put on a good pair of rubber boots, it certainly can't hurt anything. Good luck you will do fine if you follow your plan.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST/LA463 loader JD 318 / 3ph(cat. 0)

Got pictures of the situation?
    Happy as if I had good sense.
    One orange, one green.

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Thanks guys, once more the collective mind (borg) of TBN comes thru with timely and seemingly knowledgeable advice.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all
    My saws - JD CS 62, efco 3500, Stihls - 021, 660 w/woods mod, 660 w/ DP muffler, 088, Woodmizer LT10

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B6100DT

You can buy boots with a EH (electrical hazard) rating:

Infor ERP Storefront Commerce

Dan C.
    B6100DT, FEL, BH

Tractor
    JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator

Quote Originally Posted by CompactTractorFan View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea. There are some things that are better left to the professionals.
    I agree with the above comment. Somewhat related is a freind of mind just got his power back this weekend. Last week the neutral came loose up on the pole where his service dropp originates and dell on one of the hot lines. This put 120v on his neutral and fried most everything in his house. This was not due to some work he was doing it just failed. The utility is picking up the tab to install a new service drop, new meter socket and meter, and on the hook for any repairs to his home electrical system plus replaceing any damaged appliances or other electrical powered equipment damaged. they will also have to replace a section of his copper water line because the current passing through there to ground burned a hole in the water line where the ground was connected.

So if you were asking yourself what could go wrong (besides getting killed), that might give you an idea. Except in your case if you're doing the work then you will have to pay for the repairs and replace all those items damaged out of your pocket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12