Rolled Lawn Mower JD125

/ Rolled Lawn Mower JD125 #1  

Ken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520,
Yesterday I rolled the jd lawn mower while cutting close to the drive way entrance from highway. Was mowing and missed a piece of grass so pushed the yellow safety button and backed up 12 inches. The rear wheel went off the side of the drive way and I ended up in ditch 5 feet lower and under the running mower. flat on my back and the seat pushing on my chest with engine trying to continue to run so were the blades. First thought was this isn't good.
Raised the rear of mower to get safety switch to shut off the engine. then tried to get mower off of me and the lever to raise /lowee the deck was pressing into the rear of my left leg by the knee. trying to push side ways would only dig parts into side either way I tried.
A month ago saw a weight lifter raise 425 pounds on a bench lift. only was 30 years younger than I was. so again lifted the whole mower and got leg away from the engine area and then was able to move off the chest area . By this time wife was able to get into the ditch and help push the mower off.
Now this mower has the safety protection switches working cannot back up without pushing yellow button. cannot move on seat with out engine shuting off. mower was in good condition.
just wasn't expecting ditch bank giving away.
And like the snail getting run over by a turtle it all happens so fast cannot get away from the machine.
Typed this just warn the readers be careful when mowing or using farm equipment.
The bruises will heal in time. pride will take longer thought I was good with a the safety plan.
Have pictures except my computer will not send them
ken

/ Rolled Lawn Mower JD125 #2  

Wow, you're lucky. Glad you're OK.

I have an area like that where I have to enter my backyard. It drops off steep into the neighbors yard. I'm always nervous there.

/ Rolled Lawn Mower JD125 #3  
Fliped a commercial rear steer toro mower years ago. Did not think too much about it until I found out that the week before a man had been killed flipping a mower just like it in the week before, just across the county. Glad you are OK. Hope you feel better soon.

/ Rolled Lawn Mower JD125 #4  
Glad to hear you are ok. Too many of these stories end badly, I can just imagine what was going through your bride's mind while she rushed to the bottom of the ditch.

/ Rolled Lawn Mower JD125 #5  
The good thing about these stories (if there is one) is it can help many of us slow down a bit and think about how our actions can affect not only us but those that care the most about us.

/ Rolled Lawn Mower JD125 #7  
Few weeks ago my Dad (78 years old) was spraying the fence line with the four wheeler and flipped it on top of himself. He was able to get out from under it after a few minutes and then flip it back over. The four wheeler weighs between 500 and 600lbs. Not that much of an incline but he had a new sprayer that attaches on the rear seat bars (not sure what they're called). He stood up to spray and at the same time the water in the sprayer shifted the four wheeler flipped. Worst part was all the grass burs embedded in his back and he has a separated shoulder, so he was also lucky. Glad your ok, stay safe!

/ Rolled Lawn Mower JD125
Thanks for all support .
A little brused on legs, back.joints sore. realized the gas had dripped on chest causing a burn of the skin .
Have the mower repaired and working again .
Have read where someone says they would just jump off.when in something like this happens.
One moment on mower and the next instant flat on back and weight on chest.
Bob Ha I soon will be 77 and slower in healing than used to be.

Posted this just to encourage every one to be over concerned about safety.
ken

/ Rolled Lawn Mower JD125 #9  
The idea that the mower would come down on you, causing the seat safety to be depressed, is one that had not occurred to me before. I will confess that I sometimes drive my riding mower across inclines with a higher-than-normal chance of rollover. I might not do that if I wasn't confident in the seat safety.

/ Rolled Lawn Mower JD125 #10  
I'm glad to hear you aren't too badly injured Ken.

Your comment
Have read where someone says they would just jump off when something like this happens.
One moment on mower and the next instant flat on back and weight on chest.
is something everyone needs to take to heart and realize that sometimes they just might not have the time to react, even when expecting it to happen!