Tractor pulling accident

/ Tractor pulling accident #21  
OK, it appears the high hitch is their way of making sure the front end comes up to excite the crowd.
Actually, if you pull the front wheels up in the air, the entire weight of the tractor is on the driven wheels.
Here, trailers like manure tankers came standard with a high drawbar (3 foot) in the 2wd tractor era to be able to get some traction. Later when MFWD became the standard, in the late 80s, low drawbar (20") became the standard, though with a much higher static drawbar weight because they moved the tank axle further to the back. If the tractor is too light, you can still wheelie it because of the added traction from that drawbar load, then the front axle weight x wheelbase is a smaller torque than the loaded radius of the tire x tire weight x friction factor between tire and surface.

In a pull off like these, the tractor with a low mounted chain or pullbar ALLWAYS loses because the direction of pulling pulls weight off the lower one.

/ Tractor pulling accident #22  
Not defending them, but tractor pulls are about getting the maximum weight on your drive tires. To get maximum pulling power you'd want to just lift the front wheels off the ground. The draw bar is intended to ensure that the front tires are held down under all circumstances.

The tractor turned over because the 3 point got stuck in the dirt, and they didn't have a mechanism for telling the guy in the winning tractor to stop(he was likely engaging his differential lock by hand). I agree that it is stupid to risk your moneymaker on a useless contest, but any fella that says they haven't done some as conceptually silly as what is shown was never a teenager(or lived in a monastery).

Chris

/ Tractor pulling accident #23  
Actually, if you pull the front wheels up in the air, the entire weight of the tractor is on the driven wheels.
Here, trailers like manure tankers came standard with a high drawbar (3 foot) in the 2wd tractor era to be able to get some traction. Later when MFWD became the standard, in the late 80s, low drawbar (20") became the standard, though with a much higher static drawbar weight because they moved the tank axle further to the back. If the tractor is too light, you can still wheelie it because of the added traction from that drawbar load, then the front axle weight x wheelbase is a smaller torque than the loaded radius of the tire x tire weight x friction factor between tire and surface.

In a pull off like these, the tractor with a low mounted chain or pullbar ALLWAYS loses because the direction of pulling pulls weight off the lower one.

I was going to mention these hitches The Valtra 8550 we use has one of these pintle hitches above PTO height ..Came from holland .

/ Tractor pulling accident #24  
I was going to mention these hitches The Valtra 8550 we use has one of these pintle hitches above PTO height ..Came from holland .
With a haywagon type (dolly front axle with no weight on the drawbar) you need a high drawbar to do anything with a 2wd. Ive been stuck with two wagons of scrap hooked to the lower drawbar. I moved the drawbar to the upper hole and drove off. the ground didnt offer enough traction to wheelie.

When pulling trees i use the lowest of my four toplink holes in good traction conditions. on soft ground i try higher, it should only just lift the front wheels for max traction.