Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    YM3110D

Default Re: Motorcyclist killed striking farm implement

Quote Originally Posted by sdkubota View Post
    If it was the tractors fault, I hope the family gets the farm and then some. You listed every excuse imaginable why the poor tractor operator had to kill this motorcyclist. Slow moving tractors kill people around here all the time and more times then not are at fault for creating a dangerous situation. I watch them turn across traffic, fail to stop at signs, and generally think they own the highways even though they pay nothing in fuel taxes that builds the roads.
    Well SD I'm not sure how you know what fuel they run unless you watch them fill up - I run road taxed fuel in mine most of the time.

As to slow tractor killing this motorcycle operator, I'm at a loss how you get there. ( My GPS must be powered off)

Running stop signs? Don't know unless they can see all lanes going into the intersection.
    It's all I can do to clear the quick light cycle on green sometimes, but I'm rowing as hard and fast as I can ...
    I'll sit out a couple of red cycles sometimes until all traffic is clear for quite a ways - gives me a chance to wave while waiting.

AS to "getting the farm", only if the operating debt goes with it - I believe in all paying the fair share ...
    Who ever heard of Chinese hip hop??!! What the @#$% is that!!!

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    We have no idea(according to the article), what time the accident happened.

St. Cloud Motorcycle Driver Killed in Highway 10 Crash

The State Patrol says the crash happened at about 8:30 p.m. last (Wednesday) night near Little Rock Lake.

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, John Deere LT150

Quote Originally Posted by sdkubota View Post
    I watch them turn across traffic, fail to stop at signs, and generally think they own the highways even though they pay nothing in fuel taxes that builds the roads.
    That describes most of the bike (pedal type) riders around where I live...
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals"
    Immanuel Kant

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1026R

I ride motorcycles and you can bet if one of my friends hit a tractor it was their fault for speeding. Motorcycle riders fall into three categories from what I have seen:

1. Young dumb adrenaline junkies
    2. Ignorant, unskilled, or inexperienced
    3. Fellows who have survived the other two categories and are very cautious

Before anyone jumps on me for hurting their feelings I would like to explain that I'm not a hypocrite; I've been in all 3 categories before. However I've seen enough of my friends guts and my own blood to be a category 3 rider now. Most of the time I just take the truck.

Tractor
    Craftsman

Where I come from, you're supposed to pay attention and watch for 'obstracles' such and disabled vehicles, SMV's, pedestrians, animals, and anything else that might be on or near the roadway, or about to approach the roadway.
    Frank
    Just an 8N so far...

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4600HST w/loader

I would NEVER road a tractor with an implement after dark. There is no way to get enough light on whatever implement you are pulling to make it safe. I do understand that my statement may have nothing to do with this accident. Just my 2 cents worth.
    2012 Kubota L4600HST w/loader
    "orange chews up the green"

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
    Where I come from, you're supposed to pay attention and watch for 'obstracles' such and disabled vehicles, SMV's, pedestrians, animals, and anything else that might be on or near the roadway, or about to approach the roadway.
    Ayep. If the motorcyclist hit that tractor with lights on, what would they have done coming upon a disabled car, deer, etc in the roadway?
    I run a beacon, the OEM lights, a SMV sign and (if towing something that blocks the tractor lights) magnetic lights on the implement.
    Yes, it takes me an extra 5 minutes to put the magnetic lights on, but I live on a busy road and this way they cant say that they didn't see me.
    I also dont run after dusk if at all possible... Not worth it in most cases.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    John Deere 955 With 70a Loader and 7 backhoe, John Deere 110 Backhoe

Do you think the riders last thought was "oh crap, a tractor"?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1026R

Based on my crashing experience everything slows down to maybe 1/2 to 1/4 actual speed and yes you have time to think about how dumb you are.

Tractor
    JOHN DEERE 2320

We had a similar case here in michigan a month ago that killed 2 teens on a bike during daylight.
    high speed was the police report cause.
    tractor was pulling a narrow implament along side a county road. The left rear tire and rim was sheared from the tractor. the large cab'd tractor was sitting on the rear axle.

day light , night, on a county road, raining, flashers or not, careless, experinced, road rage...
    it is always someone's son, daughter, father, mother, brother, sister, cousin, girlfriend, fiance', co-worker..................
    a funeral is a bad way to learn
    their is a victim in the casket and more outside of the casket
    learn and share from the incident so we and others don't make the same mistake.

I sold my Harley this year.
    7 years of "it's not safe out there"
    tom

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast