Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned
    Tractor
    L5450

Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOOLEY
    tractor was pulling a narrow implament along side a county road. The left rear tire and rim was sheared from the tractor. the large cab'd tractor was sitting on the rear axle.
    OMG. That must have been horrible.

Tractor
    2007 New Holland TC34DA

Default Re: Motorcyclist killed striking farm implement

Quote Originally Posted by swick1 View Post
    I ride motorcycles and you can bet if one of my friends hit a tractor it was their fault for speeding. Motorcycle riders fall into three categories from what I have seen:

1. Young dumb adrenaline junkies
    2. Ignorant, unskilled, or inexperienced
    3. Fellows who have survived the other two categories and are very cautious

Before anyone jumps on me for hurting their feelings I would like to explain that I'm not a hypocrite; I've been in all 3 categories before. However I've seen enough of my friends guts and my own blood to be a category 3 rider now. Most of the time I just take the truck.
    Yup, my own evolution was #2 first (two 0 mph falls and a slip on an oily on-ramp), then #1 (I am too ashamed even to admit the dumb things I did; it's a miracle I survived), and now the cautious stage #3 which should last me the rest of my life I meet tractors all the time when motorcycling on back roads, and it is hard for me to imagine the tractor driver being at fault in a motorcycle-tractor collision.

Tractor
    JOHN DEERE 2320

Another case in Michigan this morning.
    Car ran into an implement being pulled by a tractor in Isabella county.
    driver airlifted to hospital in critical condition.
    Never seems to stop.
    Deer season brings out the car/deer accidents
    harvest time ...
    Tom

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100, M6800

In Ohio, you better have an SMV on if you are on a public road. But, if you are trailering a tractor, you better NOT have an SMV on or you get a ticket. SMV is for slow-moving things only.

If I have to drive on any more than a back road I have someome follow me in a vehicle and we all have flashers on. You would be surprised at the idiots that apparently feel a sense of contempt for having to slow down for a moment and cut in between us at 65-70 mph (in a 55 zone) or take chances that any rational person would not. And we don't let lines of traffic build up but rather pull over for others to pass if more than a few are backed up.

People get killed all the time taking chances they shouldn't. The cycle guy would likely be alive if the tractor was not on the road. Equally so, he would be alive if he followed the defensive driving techniques most people are aware of and also exercised extreme caution at dusk when many accidents occur. Everyone knows and is taught this. I don't have any more answers than that other than we are supposed to share the road.

EDIT--Oh, my nephew was killed in a motorcycle accident laste at night, probably impaired and cutting the corners on a winding country road when he clipped a truck.
    Last edited by sixdogs; 10-01-2012 at 09:16 AM.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    MF GC2410

Quote Originally Posted by MHarryE View Post
    Motorcyclist dies after hitting farm implement | kare11.com

Looks like the tractor driver was doing everything right and then some. On the right side of the road, flashing lights on, additional rotating beacon, but the motorcyclist still hit him. Roading home after dark always makes me nervous because I can see people coming toward me who despite my warning flashers and SMV reflector don't seem to recognize I am there and I am not going the speed limit.
    As a mortcycle (former) enthusiast and soon to be ex owner I see that this accident was totally the motorcycle drivers fault. One of the reasons I am selling mine is its not as fun as people will lead you to think. first off-you need to be 100% alert, constantly be aware of your surroundings-nobody can stay at such a high state of alertness for 100% of the time. Its mentally impossible and just that 1% of the time can get you buried 6 feet under just like this fellar You need to be pro-active and predictive, drive offensively. You need to wear leather, full face helmet (changed out every two years by the way). You have to watch the weather all the time and in places like Maine your limited to driving it foer just a few pleasant months a year.

To sum things up for me, I have tried it, hated it, and because your out in the open like that, are completely unsafe. Even hitting a bird can get you killed.
    2010 MF GC2410 TLB, 2006 Husqvarna YTH 2448, 2004 Honda Rincon 650, 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited-Hemi.

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Some people just aren't meant to ride motorcycles, one of the saddest days of my life was about a year ago when in my 60's I finally realized I had to give up riding. I gave my bike to my son to keep it in the family.

You are either a motorcyclist or you are not; just the way it is.
    "An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H, JD X540

As a retired farmer and still a motorcycle rider I can say from experience that approximately 35 - 40% of motorcycle accidents are alcohol related. Most of these are on the "cruiser" style of motorcycle. Majority of "sport bike" accidents are speed related.

30 years ago I used to live on a fairly active county road and we farmed when the weather would allow. Quite frequently spring and fall I would run until midnight or later. Was either lucky or lived in an area where agriculture was 99% of what everone did so they knew that tractors and farm equipment move slow, leave mud, corn, soybeans, etc on the road. Rarely had car tractor collisions. Today with all of the distractions like cell phones, I-pods, etc.. people are just more out of tune with what they are doing.

In the case of this accident I feel the most sorrow for the tractor operator since he/she will have to live with this for the rest of their lives.
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD X540

Tractor
    2007 New Holland TC34DA

Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    Some people just aren't meant to ride motorcycles, one of the saddest days of my life was about a year ago when in my 60's I finally realized I had to give up riding. I gave my bike to my son to keep it in the family.

You are either a motorcyclist or you are not; just the way it is.
    Truer words were never posted. Sorry to learn of your loss, hope your son appreciates the gift.

Tractor
    Kubota B21

Where I live, up a long winding country road notorious for Ninja bike derring-do's, motorcyclists are the enemy. Darwin at work here, if you ask me.
    - Dennis

Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Quote Originally Posted by mvwicker View Post
    Truer words were never posted. Sorry to learn of your loss, hope your son appreciates the gift.
    Thanks, he loves it and is busy modifying it to fit his style, low bars, new graphics, hand grips, foot pegs, mirrors etc. He is 33 years old in college preparing for a new career and a motorcycle was out of his reach financially; been there myself.

Here are the before pictures the day I gave it to him.
    "An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast