Motorcyclist killed striking farm implement

/ Motorcyclist killed striking farm implement #1  

MHarryE

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7-171, M5-111, SVL75-2, RTV900XT & GR2120; CaseIH 1680 combine
Motorcyclist dies after hitting farm implement | kare11.com

Looks like the tractor driver was doing everything right and then some. On the right side of the road, flashing lights on, additional rotating beacon, but the motorcyclist still hit him. Roading home after dark always makes me nervous because I can see people coming toward me who despite my warning flashers and SMV reflector don't seem to recognize I am there and I am not going the speed limit.

/ Motorcyclist killed striking farm implement #2  
Wonder if he had an SMV sign? Are those required in MN?? The article makes no mention of it??

Not trying to find fault with the driver, but here in OH, no amount of lights, strobes, or signs is replacement for a SMV sign. And as right or wrong as it may be, without an SMV sign here, the tractor operator would be cited.

Either way, it is a tragedy indeed.

/ Motorcyclist killed striking farm implement #3  
On the picture shown in the article, it appears the implement raised (like the wings of a batwing cutter). That may have blocked the tractor's lights and SMV sign. However, you can't really tell for sure from the picture.

/ Motorcyclist killed striking farm implement #4  
It may not have been the best choice to move this at night if it could have been avoided. But it does seem he was within the law. Im sure the tractor driver feels bad enough. Unfortunate.

/ Motorcyclist killed striking farm implement #5  
It may not have been the best choice to move this at night if it could have been avoided. But it does seem he was within the law. Im sure the tractor driver feels bad enough. Unfortunate.

According to the commenters, it was not a farmer moving a tractor, but a roadside ditch mower. Any number of job-related reasons why he might have been moving at dusk. As one of the commenters on the post said, "What is he supposed to do? Drive his tractor on the road during the day? Then you'd just complain about him blocking traffic when it is busy. So he moves the tractor late in the day when the road isn't busy, and you curse him for not having enough light."

Also, if it was a roadside ditch mower--and, hence, a county or state employee--then there's no question that the tractor was probably compliant with the law.

/ Motorcyclist killed striking farm implement #6  
here in OH, no amount of lights, strobes, or signs is replacement for a SMV sign. And as right or wrong as it may be, without an SMV sign here, the tractor operator would be cited.

I never though about that. When I bought my tractor, the first thing I did was remove the SMV sign.

I almost never go on the road, but I am going to have to see about finding a spot for the sign now.

They never cite the mini bikes, 4 wheelers, or snowmobiles for being on the road here, but with my luck...

/ Motorcyclist killed striking farm implement #7  
It looks like the implement was a disc mower for cutting hay.

/ Motorcyclist killed striking farm implement #8  
According to the commenters, it was not a farmer moving a tractor, but a roadside ditch mower. Any number of job-related reasons why he might have been moving at dusk. As one of the commenters on the post said, "What is he supposed to do? Drive his tractor on the road during the day? Then you'd just complain about him blocking traffic when it is busy. So he moves the tractor late in the day when the road isn't busy, and you curse him for not having enough light."

Also, if it was a roadside ditch mower--and, hence, a county or state employee--then there's no question that the tractor was probably compliant with the law.

Excuse much?

/ Motorcyclist killed striking farm implement #9  
I'm confused by your reply.

You mean there was no excuse for the motorcyclist needlessly killing himself with the tractor?

Sent from my MB525 using TractorByNet

/ Motorcyclist killed striking farm implement #10  
If it was the tractors fault, I hope the family gets the farm and then some. You listed every excuse immaginable why the poor tractor operator had to kill this motorcyclist. Slow moving tractors kill people around here all the time and more times then not are at fault for creating a dangerous situation. I watch them turn across traffic, fail to stop at signs, and generally think they own the highways even though they pay nothing in fuel taxes that builds the roads.