Man killed pulling tree over with tractor

/ Man killed pulling tree over with tractor #1  

JasG

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2650,
No details were released but a 22 year old person was killed pulling a tree over with a chain while logging. I just wonder if he was trying to pull the tree (skid) because it was hung up in another tree. Or if they were pulling it over with a chain? We either used long rope to pull over, or cable and would have the puller be far enough way no way it could hit them. Pulling the base of a sawn tree because it was hung up I've seen them start to stand back up and could see it coming over.

Logging Accident in Nelson Kills Vernon Center Man

Strange that right in the same area just over 1 year ago. A co-worker of mine, her brother was killed while logging also. In his case a limb was stuck in a tree and fell on his head.

/ Man killed pulling tree over with tractor #2  
Wow, just 22yrs old and he's gone. It sounds like whatever he was pulling with was just too short. Wonder if had taken the time to really think through what he was doing and the risks he was taking? Doesn't matter now.

/ Man killed pulling tree over with tractor
Wow, just 22yrs old and he's gone. It sounds like whatever he was pulling with was just too short. Wonder if had taken the time to really think through what he was doing and the risks he was taking? Doesn't matter now.

Sad part is there were 3 other guys with him. Seems some reports state they were a "logging" outfit so they might do this for a living. If they were logging for dollars the tractor should have had a "FLOPS" which at least should have deflected the tree. I've seen pictures of log skidders hit by tree's. Might destroy the machine, but the operator lives in the stories I have read.

It wasn't instant either, at 1st they called for a medivac to come get him.

None the less sad and IMO could have and should have not happened.

/ Man killed pulling tree over with tractor #4  
   / Man killed pulling tree over with tractor
   / Man killed pulling tree over with tractor #6  
It's very sad that someone was killed.

/ Man killed pulling tree over with tractor #7  
I always thought a chain would not backlash like a rope or cable would if it broke.

/ Man killed pulling tree over with tractor #8  
I always thought a chain would not backlash like a rope or cable would if it broke.

That's what I thought, too, until I had a 30 ft chain break near the far hook and the whole thing came back into my windshield. Fairly low speed, though, compared to a cable. It didn't go through the glass.

Bruce

/ Man killed pulling tree over with tractor #9  
I bet it broke the glass....
I have seen chain come back just as fast as nylon rope. It all depends on how it breaks. Most times chain does more damage than rope, much like steel cable...
We jerk on nylon rope and straps all the time,,,,HEAVY straps and rope, and use the stretch as stored energy to unstick the vehicle with NO damage. I would never jerk on a chain as I have seen too much damage to bumpers, tailgates etc

/ Man killed pulling tree over with tractor #10  
Not that any of us would ever put ourselves in such a situation, but if we did, a snatch block could be a life saver.