Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240

Default Man killed pulling tree over with tractor

No details were released but a 22 year old person was killed pulling a tree over with a chain while logging. I just wonder if he was trying to pull the tree (skid) because it was hung up in another tree. Or if they were pulling it over with a chain? We either used long rope to pull over, or cable and would have the puller be far enough way no way it could hit them. Pulling the base of a sawn tree because it was hung up I've seen them start to stand back up and could see it coming over.

Logging Accident in Nelson Kills Vernon Center Man

Strange that right in the same area just over 1 year ago. A co-worker of mine, her brother was killed while logging also. In his case a limb was stuck in a tree and fell on his head.
    “Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Reagan

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Default Re: Man killed pulling tree over with tractor

Wow, just 22yrs old and he's gone. It sounds like whatever he was pulling with was just too short. Wonder if had taken the time to really think through what he was doing and the risks he was taking? Doesn't matter now.
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Tractor
    Kubota L3240

Quote Originally Posted by kebo View Post
    Wow, just 22yrs old and he's gone. It sounds like whatever he was pulling with was just too short. Wonder if had taken the time to really think through what he was doing and the risks he was taking? Doesn't matter now.
    Sad part is there were 3 other guys with him. Seems some reports state they were a "logging" outfit so they might do this for a living. If they were logging for dollars the tractor should have had a "FLOPS" which at least should have deflected the tree. I've seen pictures of log skidders hit by tree's. Might destroy the machine, but the operator lives in the stories I have read.

It wasn't instant either, at 1st they called for a medivac to come get him.

None the less sad and IMO could have and should have not happened.
    “Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Reagan

Tractor
    JD X585

Quote Originally Posted by JasG View Post
    Strange that right in the same area just over 1 year ago. A co-worker of mine, her brother was killed while logging also. In his case a limb was stuck in a tree and fell on his head.
    It is sad, and like you said two in a years time within a few miles of each other. It's a dangerous occupation and/or hobby for sure.

I had a different link in my original post:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/s...lose-home.html
    JD X585 with 45 loader, 3ph, 62C deck, 47SB, 54 blade, Soft Cab. JD F620 with 60". JD 4X2 gator. JD T23 trimmer
    JD CS56 and CS36 saws. JS35 WB mower.

Tractor
    Kubota L3240

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch445 View Post
    It is sad, and like you said two in a years time within a few miles of each other. It's a dangerous occupation and/or hobby for sure.

I had a different link in my original post:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/s...lose-home.html
    I didn't see your thread, I waited to see if more information was put out.

So do you live on RT20 or Old State?

Ronald Reagan

Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

It's very sad that someone was killed.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MX5100HST FEL

I always thought a chain would not backlash like a rope or cable would if it broke.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Quote Originally Posted by leveled View Post
    I always thought a chain would not backlash like a rope or cable would if it broke.
    That's what I thought, too, until I had a 30 ft chain break near the far hook and the whole thing came back into my windshield. Fairly low speed, though, compared to a cable. It didn't go through the glass.

Bruce

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

I bet it broke the glass....
    I have seen chain come back just as fast as nylon rope. It all depends on how it breaks. Most times chain does more damage than rope, much like steel cable...
    We jerk on nylon rope and straps all the time,,,,HEAVY straps and rope, and use the stretch as stored energy to unstick the vehicle with NO damage. I would never jerk on a chain as I have seen too much damage to bumpers, tailgates etc

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Not that any of us would ever put ourselves in such a situation, but if we did, a snatch block could be a life saver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast