Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)

Default Quick Attach Bucket Removal Incident

I had a lucky escape while detaching my Quick Attach bucket today. My first instinct was to keep quiet and hide the carelessness/stupidity. Reason prevailed, and I'm posting a photo (of the recreated incident) so others won't make the same mistake.

As usual, I placed the bucket on level ground and floated the hydraulics to relieve pressure. Then I stood to the side of the bucket and raised the lever to release the two QA bottom pins. The bottom of the QA rotated backwards causing the bucket arms to drop another 2" and on the toe of my right boot. Luckily it was just on the edge of my big toe and I was able to release myself by removing the boot and sock. If my foot had been in another couple of inches it would have crushed the top bones and I would have been trapped.

I finished my work(mowing the lawn) and decided to recreate the incident for a photo(with another boot) which I could post here. The photo is taken in the exact position where I removed the bucket.

It was careless and I was lucky. It is a big reminder. It will never happen again, and from now on I'll stand with both feet in the bucket while releasing the pins. Now I'll have to watch where I put my hands.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -r20120928_qa_hazard-jpg  

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Default Re: Quick Attach Bucket Removal Incident

I'm glad that things worked out positive and that you weren't injured.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    NH TC45

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. I was having trouble getting the qa to release and was doing everything I could to make it let go..
    .it did ...with down pressure on the hydraulics. I thought it broke my foot for a minute - sure did hurt - and I had to dig under my boot before I could get out from under.
    Bruised but not broken, and a memory that will last and remind every time. I figure we were lucky. Incidents we walk away from make us safer.
    Mike

Tractor
    BX-1860, L3940HSTC, B7500, Farmall M, Farmall 560D

I leave the bucket up a couple inches and stand in the bucket to open the levers. This keeps the bucket secure and you can remove it from the tractor seat.
    Kevin

BX1860, mower, snowblower - B7500HST, FEL, Bush Hog - Grand L3940 HSTC, FEL, snowblower, 6' Landpride brush hog, 6' King Kutter tiller, Corn Pro 18+5 Fifth Wheel, 1950 Farmall M, Farmall 560D

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by kevinj View Post
    I leave the bucket up a couple inches and stand in the bucket to open the levers. This keeps the bucket secure and you can remove it from the tractor seat.
    This is exactly what I do. I do not put either the bucket or the forks on the ground, but stand in the bucket and on the forks, that also helps make the lever very easy to move as you are "unloading" the pins slightly by your weight. You just need a couple of inches off the ground, then get on the tractor and drop the bucket. and go for your next implement, and do the same thing hook it up and leave it 2 inches off of the ground and again your weight makes it easy to work the lever.

James K0UA
    James KØUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

That was close, I am glad you were not hurt.

Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

Thanks for posting. I don't have SSQA, but good info none the less.
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

Glad you didnt get hurt. I had a similar thing happen without getting my boot trapped. I started lifting the release levers after rolling the bucket all the way back and a little off of the ground.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Tractor
    Kubota L3240

Quote Originally Posted by dex3361 View Post
    I started lifting the release levers after rolling the bucket all the way back and a little off of the ground.
    This is what I have always done standing to the side of the loader arms.

At work we have a Cat 416IT for maintenance around our factory, now thats slick. Most items I can switch and never leave the seat unless the item has hydraulics. Then I do have to get off to deal with them.
    “Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Reagan

There can never be enough emphasis placed on keeping all parts of your body out of "pinch points". Sometimes a person gets lucky and just experiences a little (or a whole lot!) of pain...but sometimes you get a lasting injury or "The Big Sleep"!

It never hurts when starting any task to ask yourself just what can go wrong. If you do that enough, after awhile it becomes second nature and you will do it automatically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast