Tractor
    Kubota L3240

Default Wood splitter accident

From about 1984-1991 my dad would borrow a splitter from a friend. The machine was a beast of a machine. Never came across a block it wouldn't split. The thing that we loved was the 4 way wedge and the auto cycle. Once the level was pushed all the way forward you could let go and it would finish the split and return to start. We could split all our wood in 1 weekend with this machine very easy.
    Never seen a splitter like it since. We stopped using it due to we cut down on the amount of wood dad and other family members were burning.

Today just to see what happened to that company I did a search. Seems the speed and auto cycle were what done them in. A guy was splitting blocks with it and cut his thumb off. This caused him to probably pass out and fall across the splitter. This then damaged himself to the point he lost his legs.

888 F2d 45 Childress v. Gresen Manufacturing Co | OpenJurist
    Ronald Childress was employed by a person in the business of selling firewood. His job assignment for about a month prior to the accident was to split logs. On February 3, 1984, Childress placed a log on the beam of the splitter. After pulling the lever to begin the splitting process, Childress let go of the lever and held the log in place with his right hand so that it would not become dislodged. As the ram moved toward the wedge, Childress' right thumb became caught between the log and the wedge, causing the thumb to be amputated. He became weak and unstable and fell across the beam. Childress was unable to reach the control lever to stop the progression of the ram. Consequently, the ram continued forward, forcing his legs against the wedge. Childress' injuries were so extensive that it eventually became necessary to amputate both legs.
    From what I was able to find the suit did the splitter company in.

Always need to be careful with things. I never would have thought a person could lose there legs from a wood splitter.

This has a picture of a splitter made by the same company but with a 3 way wedge attached.
    My splitter thread (by popular demand!) | Hearth.com Forums Home
    “Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Reagan

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Default Re: Wood splitter accident

Autocycle valves are still available. I have one on my splitter and love it.

Most,( I think all ) splitters in Europe require 2 handed operation like a press in an industrial setting. Over here, the cheap chinese electric splitters come with that "feature". Ask any owner of the chinese splitters if they like this feature!

I for one would hate to see 2 handed operation mandated on north american gas powered splitters. Having a hand free is essential. Splitters are dangerous tools, like chainsaws, and require you to be aware of your surroundings.

/something... something..Personal responsibility...something... something

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Furakawa 351

I repaired one that had a Wisconsin engine and a full cycling automatic hydraulic system, you just tripped the lever.
    6 years ago he brought it back and wanted it changed so it was a tilt version. Before you had to lift the piece in the trough.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

was just talking to a buddy of mine this morning about auto cycle with a 4 way blade.

small world...

Tractor
    Kubota B3300SU

My 3pt splitter has auto return (the lever locks in the return position till the ram is retracted all the way). Due to the risk, I wouldn't want one that was auto exend. I've been around heavy equipment most of my life and I've seen too many bad things happen due to just a momentary laps of full attention.
    My toys: '09 BMW R1200GSA
    '06 Harley Roadking ~ '95 Suzuki DR350S
    '94 Suzuki DR350S ~ '07 Yamaha Superjet
    '09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
    '83 Suzi 125 three wheeler ~ '13 Ram 3500 4X4 Cummins SRW
    '09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
    '12 John Deere X320

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdib View Post
    ..........I've seen too many bad things happen due to just a momentary laps of full attention.
    You've hit the nail on the head there...not paying attention to what one is doing is almost a sure way to have an "accident".

One could quite accurately say that "Accidents don't happen...they are caused!"

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

yup.. errors.. errors in judgement..

Tractor
    Kubota B3300SU

It's not really that hard to be distracted. Say you are out there hard at work and your other half holllers at you that your best friend is on the phone. You don't even have to take your eyes off what you are doing, just that thought of maybe "wonder what he wants?" takes that 100% concentration away. Rediculous? Nope, you are no longer "in the zone".
    My toys: '09 BMW R1200GSA
    '06 Harley Roadking ~ '95 Suzuki DR350S
    '94 Suzuki DR350S ~ '07 Yamaha Superjet
    '09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
    '83 Suzi 125 three wheeler ~ '13 Ram 3500 4X4 Cummins SRW
    '09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
    '12 John Deere X320

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

I've been splitting wood for about 13 years now, and I can't think of an instant where I would want an 'auto-cycle'.

Mine has the auto return, and even that can get you in trouble at times.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

"I've been splitting wood for about 13 years now, and I can't think of an instant where I would want an 'auto-cycle'.

Mine has the auto return, and even that can get you in trouble at times."

You are so right!!!