Fire Department Tractor Rescue Training

/ Fire Department Tractor Rescue Training #1  

OTFD122

Tractor
John Deere 1023E
I am on a Fire Dept and also a member of our training commitee that plans and conducts bi-weekly training drills. We wanted to conduct a different training than we have ever done before... So being the tractor enthusiast I am, I thought, why not tractor related emergencies? So we reviewed tractor safety in the classroom, than took to the farm for a few hands on demonstrations. One scenario was a PTO entrapment, the other was a loader failure, pinning a person. Here's a few pics for you guys!

Our farmer, Stewie:

101_0697.jpg

Loader failure - using Hurst airbags to free victim:

101_0677.jpg

101_0680.jpg

101_0682.jpg

101_0685.jpg

101_0686.jpg

101_0694.jpg

PTO entrapment - Makes for a good demo!

101_0706.jpg

101_0705.jpg

The "non-tractorers" of the FD really enjoyed getting their hands on the equipment and learning how destructive a PTO can be

/ Fire Department Tractor Rescue Training #2  
Great idea! Ripped the stuffing right out of that big dummy didn't it!

/ Fire Department Tractor Rescue Training #4  
that's an excellent training. I'm a FF also in a rural area and also a tractor dealer. this would be a good training. like the pics. Good job.

/ Fire Department Tractor Rescue Training #5  
Same here ff in rural area, we need more if this type of training thanks for posting!

/ Fire Department Tractor Rescue Training #6  
I assume speed was not a priority since this was just training. Now my question, how fast were you able to raise the tractor and free the dummy?

/ Fire Department Tractor Rescue Training #7  
Great training.

/ Fire Department Tractor Rescue Training
Zebrafive said:
I assume speed was not a priority since this was just training. Now my question, how fast were you able to raise the tractor and free the dummy?

Just training, so you are correct, speed was not a priority. We tried a couple ways, the fastest and most down-and-dirty (and least safe) method was to have everyone lift the front end by hand. The airbag method, much safer and controlled for us and the patient, took around 5 minutes, and that's likely the method we would use if it was an extremity or two trapped and there were no immediate life threats (i.e. someone not breathing)

/ Fire Department Tractor Rescue Training #9  
Regarding the loader entrapment, is it assumed that the loader has weight in it at the time? Seems like otherwise, the fastest approach would be to just float the loader and then have people lift it off. If you can lift the front end of the tractor, you can float and lift the loader much easier.

Then again, if somebody is trapped under the bucket, maybe you don't want to screw around with the joystick.

/ Fire Department Tractor Rescue Training #10  
My cousin got his fingers ripped off while trying to bump the pto by his sister to hook up the pto shaft. Th pto selector to allow it to spin was broken so they were bumping it to line up the spline and had several fingers ripped out but still dangling via skin. the medics were able to slow down the bleeding and keep fingers alive so it could be sewed back on. I never knew it happened till Xmas time when I saw how swollen they were.(happened in fall).
Funny thing is that the dairy farm went belly up and he became an ambulance medic since.