Tractor
    Bobcat CT120

Default LOW COST!!!! Battery operated pump rated for gasoline and other liquids.

I have seen two "D" cell battery operated pumps on line both rated for gasoline and other liquids. They both make it easier to move the liquids we typically use in our tractors, mowers and other equipment.
    I extended the hose a couple of feet so I could leave the 5 gallon can in the truck bed. when I fuel the tractor.
    1. Amazon.com: Sierra Tools Battery-Operated Liquid Transfer Pump, Model# JB5684: Home Improvement $10
    The picture shows a button you have to press the entire time you are fueling.
    Sears has the same pump for $45.69.
    2. http://www.amazon.com/TERAPUMP-TRHD0...ef=pd_sim_hi_1
    $17.99 it has a safety shut-off and a slide position on off switch so you don't have to hold down a button the entire time you are fueling.
    I would never use a pump that specifically says "not for gasoline" for gas (gasoline is significantly more volatile then Diesel and Kerosine) . To me that's tempting fate. I had an uncle severely burned by an exploding gas can, it covered him in burning gas. He lived but was in pain the rest of his life.

Tractor
    1981 Yanmar 336D

I have that Sierra tools pump, and if it can handle gasoline, I'm typing this from Mars.

It can likely handle diesel, though. Never tried.

By the way, the "button" on top is a rocker switch.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TractorByNet
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ― Aristotle

Yanmar 1981 YM336D

From this . . . . To this

Check out the full restoration project: Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 . . . . Adding gauges? How-to

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Default Re: LOW COST!!!! Battery operated pump rated for gasoline and other liquids.

A gallon per minute rated is likely truly about half that in real life. Gonna be a long time fueling up if you have more than a lawnmower sized tank. Battery consumption will be pretty high also. Even with my 15GPM rated pump it seems to take a long time at fill up but in reality is only a couple of minutes. Rated capacity falls off a lot when you put in a restriction like a 10 micron fuel filter. I think mine is actually only pumping about 5-6 gallons per minute.
    Personally I wouldnt waste my money on a battery powered pump like that, for sure not $50. Bite the bullet an get yourself a storage container (55 gallon drum or a larger storage tank) and get a 12 v DC or 110V 15 GPM fuel pump with 20 foot hose and automatic shutoff nozzle and be set for life. No more 5 gallon cans to mess with. If you have to get your fuel at a local service station, you could use 2 barrels, one for transport and one for fuel station. Just use your pump to transfer it from the travel container to the storage container. NO heavy handling needed.
    Here at the farm, we have 2 each 110 gallon tanks both with 12 VDC pumps and when nearly empty, we have our local jobber come to the farm and fill both and our tractor tanks if needed. Minimum purchase is150 gallons but delivery is free and no road tax.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Default Re: LOW COST!!!! Battery operated pump rated for gasoline and other liquids.

I have the Terra. So far it has lasted a year without issue. It actually works well. BUT... It is a short hose. I was hoping the wife would not have to lift a 5 gallon can to fill the quad, but the hose is too short. But it works and works well so far. I would recommend it.
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Store the fuel in an elevated tank. Use a slow pump to push the fuel up to the tank. Use gravity feed to fuel up.

If you're using five gallon cans, I find a siphon to work very well, and quickly, even if the can is sitting on the tractor's hood, and so isn't very elevated relative to the tank. You can get a hand-pump siphon hose or a "jiggler" style if you like that better.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1026R

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell
    Store the fuel in an elevated tank. Use a slow pump to push the fuel up to the tank. Use gravity feed to fuel up.

If you're using five gallon cans, I find a siphon to work very well, and quickly, even if the can is sitting on the tractor's hood, and so isn't very elevated relative to the tank. You can get a hand-pump siphon hose or a "jiggler" style if you like that better.
    The higher the tank the faster the flow just to state the obvious. It will also take more energy to raise to that height though.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

I have that pump, and while I have never tried to pump gas with it, It will not pump oil (well maybe a gallon an hour). I bought one to pump the hydraulic oil out of the 5 gallon can into the tractor, and abandoned that and poured it in. also the thing leaks around the shaft. I would never feel comfortable pumping gas with the thing. In fact while I did keep it, I almost threw it in the trash. Maybe I just got a bad one, but I was very disappointed in it.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Bobcat CT120

Quote Originally Posted by woodlandfarms View Post
    I have the Terra. So far it has lasted a year without issue. It actually works well. BUT... It is a short hose. I was hoping the wife would not have to lift a 5 gallon can to fill the quad, but the hose is too short. But it works and works well so far. I would recommend it.
    I added additional hose (the gray marine hose for outboards fits just right into the hose on the pump) now I leave the can in the pickup, no more lifting.