Filling tires and cold weather.....Good idea or not?

/ Filling tires and cold weather.....Good idea or not? #1  

Whisper35

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I am thinking about filling my tires, but I was wondring what the benefit would be. And I was wondering if it would be a good idea because of the Winter temps were I live. It is usually about 35-40 below on most days and I am concerned about the tires freezing. I keep the tractor in a heated garage so I don't think freezing will be an issue, but I thought I'd better get some advice before I venture down this road.

Any information on the benefits of filliing the tires and advise on wether the cold will be an issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

/ Filling tires and cold weather.....Good idea or not? #2  
a70/30 af/water soloution gets you to neg 84f

/ Filling tires and cold weather.....Good idea or not? #3  
what do you mean by af/water solution?

Regards

Richard

/ Filling tires and cold weather.....Good idea or not? #4  
Anti-freeze and water?Check on Rimguard,not sure of the freeze temp but mine is filled and we get down to -30 degrees F.with no problems

/ Filling tires and cold weather.....Good idea or not? #5  
■Rim Guard™ is freeze-resistant down to -35°F.

/ Filling tires and cold weather.....Good idea or not? #6  
what do you mean by af/water solution?

Regards

Richard

i'm not sure what you are asking.

A soloution of the two.

af and water.

IE.. MIX them. 70% af, 30% h20 and theye you are .. another 50degrees freeze protection PAST rimguard.. and probably a quarter of the cost too!

/ Filling tires and cold weather.....Good idea or not? #7  
Search the net for anti-freeze proportions for your lowest expected temps and use that . I think the 70% antifreeze and 30% water ratio is the best you can get with ethylene glycol (anti-freeze), any more anti-freeze or any less and the freeze temps start to climb. A lot of folks dont realize that pure anti-freeze will actually freeze at higher temps than when mixed with 30% water.

/ Filling tires and cold weather.....Good idea or not? #8  
Anti freeze is not cheap $20 a gallon, you will 100 gallons to fill 2 tractor tires, $2,000. Probably better to fill the 4 tires but is becomes really prohibitive. 50% give a protection close to -40C, it may be enough? and cost a bit less, still too expensive for me.
I know some people use a salt solution which is effective and cheap but very corrosive so in the end may not be cheaper if your rims are eaten away!

/ Filling tires and cold weather.....Good idea or not? #9  
just don't use it full strength.

70/30 gives you -84f and you don't need nearly that much.

water is free.

/ Filling tires and cold weather.....Good idea or not? #10  
Check with tire dealers who handle ag tires in your area to see what they can handle (I know that your choices may be very limited). Your tractor dealer should be the first one to ask. I know that on this web site everyone slams calcium chloride solution but most soil compactors, no matter which brand, have their rear tires filled with CaCl and have no problem. It's recommended by the tire and rim companies. Oxygen is needed to cause rust and the oxygen in water is not free oxygen. As the tire companies say, the oxygen in the air used in inflation is quickly depleted possibly creating a scale but I've never seen one of our wheels with a tire removed have significant rust. Back in the old days we used to fill our tractors with CaCl and on winter days colder than 30 below they could start hopping; however we didn't have any inside storage let alone heat. The solution wouldn't freeze - but it would get slushy and at higher tire rpms the solution was viscous enough to go around with the tire. Me - I just use all the cast weight on my wheels I can get. I am partner in 2 rather farm operations here and of our total 23 tractors, none of them have loaded tires. Radials on all of the larger tractors, added solid weight if needed.