Windshield washer antifreeze tastes terrible!!!

/ Windshield washer antifreeze tastes terrible!!! #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
I want to relate my experience yesterday in the hopes it may prevent something identical happening to another member: I was in my barn and draining the washer fluid summer mix from the tank of my GMC and planning to replace it with full strength winter mix. That bottle was on a shelf about 7 feet up and rather than doing the smart thing and using a stepstool to reach it, I used a bent wire rod to pull it off the shelf and I had planned to catch it, but was too slow and the plastic bottle hit the workbench top hard, the cap popped off, and I got a faceful of the stuff and some splashed into my mouth. The alcohol began burning my eyes, I immediate spat out the fluid and ran a few feet to the clean water stash I keep near every workbench, several clear plastic bottles with a wide mouth top. Emptied two entire bottles over my face, then kept rinsing my mouth until nearly 2 gallons of fresh water had been used. Yet I could still taste the bitter antifreeze hours later. Had I not had the water supply there, I would have had to to run 450 feet to the outside faucet to get rinse water.

For many years now I have kept fresh water stored in every workshop where I might have to deal with a chemical/cleaner spill accident as I just described. Hopefully my story might keep one of you from being careless in reaching, and/or encourage you to keep a supply of rinse water handy.

/ Windshield washer antifreeze tastes terrible!!! #2  
Wow, glad you were prepared and are all right. Random thought, never heard of it before, but I wonder if they put an embittering agent in washer fluid like they do in coolant. From what you say it sounds like it. Don't think I'm gonna do my own taste though lol.

Ken

/ Windshield washer antifreeze tastes terrible!!!
Wow, glad you were prepared and are all right. Random thought, never heard of it before, but I wonder if they put an embittering agent in washer fluid like they do in coolant. From what you say it sounds like it. Don't think I'm gonna do my own taste though lol.

Ken

After I had finished with the rinse, I went to the hose by the house and drank a large quantity of water, although I doubt if I swallowed more than a drop or two, there would have been some of the washer fluid absorbed by the mucous membranes in my mouth. As for the taste of coolant, I have read that much of that tastes sweet, which is why pet cats and dogs are so prone to drinking coolant. I have read that even one spoonful of radiator antifreeze is toxic enough to kill a small animal. We have cats, and one of our cars has a small coolant leak, and every time the car is moved off the driveway I dump a half gallon of water onto the leak to dilute it.

/ Windshield washer antifreeze tastes terrible!!! #4  
The older (green) antifreezes did have a sweet taste, quite a few pets and pests did die from poisoning after drinking it. However, since the late 80's antifreeze sold in the US has had to have an embittering agent added to reduce (eliminate was the stated intent) the likelyhood of animals drinking coolant.

Ken

/ Windshield washer antifreeze tastes terrible!!! #5  
I think what you were tasting was the alcohol in the winter grade of washer fluid. Alcohol is bitter by nature. The last antifreeze I got into my mouth still tasted sweet and it wasnt from the 80's although I havent really tasted of any of the stuff I have in stock now.
In the 80's they started making the non toxic stuff which may or may not be bitter. I dont use it so I wouldnt know.

/ Windshield washer antifreeze tastes terrible!!! #7  
i can tell you from working onlots of old machines.

pretty much NO fluids from various cavities in machines taste good.

glad you didn't swallow too much methanol. it causes blindness!

/ Windshield washer antifreeze tastes terrible!!! #8  
I did a little taste testing last night myself.Putting a lower radiator hose back on laying on my back looking up and the last little bit ran out of the hose and hit me in the nose and mouth at the same time.Lucky it was ninety % water.