Time to get the tractors ready for winter snow removal

/ Time to get the tractors ready for winter snow removal #1  

artfull dodger

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 420 garden tractor
Its that time of year again, old man winter is knocking on the door or already here for some of us. Time to make sure all the lights work, clean out the dust and crud from the lenses/reflectors on many newer lawn and garden tractors that will see winter duties. Maybe look into a small xenon or LED strobe to put on the fender. With the snow flying, more darkness and being out in the road more often moving snow, safety is of high importance. I spent today getting my new to me John Deere 214 ready for winter duty. I mounted my small xenon strobe, salvaged from a forklift, on the left side fender(when sitting in the seat) and wired it to a switch on the dash. I also added a 4x6 Hobbs brand halogen flood light to the right side fender facing rearward. I plan to replace the factory rear reflectors with acutal lights and mount my mini SMV triangle on the back of the seat. While it doesnt fufill the legal requirements, it looks a lot better than the huge full size one on a garden tractor. I have a full size free standing one I use if I need to spend alot of time on the road. Cant mount the snow blade yet, still have more leaf duty yet before I can take the mower deck off. I also improved the normaly poor factory headlight set up. Three 1156 bulbs in a silver painted reflector. I used the metal alum duct tape to form a more reflective headlight reflector, it works much better, both in lighting up the ground and brighter when viewed from the front. This will work on both the older 200 and 300 series Deere's. I will post some pics tomorrow. Mike

/ Time to get the tractors ready for winter snow removal #2  
ScannedImage003_003_003_zps78bc023e.jpg

The first 2 are ready to go for snow .
The 3rd one was parked in the shed for the winter.

/ Time to get the tractors ready for winter snow removal
Here are some pics of my rear lighting upgrade so far and the brighter headlights. Mike
johndeerepics005.jpg

johndeerepics006.jpg

/ Time to get the tractors ready for winter snow removal #4  
I dont want to think about snow for a long time yet . We are still waiting to do a lot of field work if it ever stops raining.