Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 4720

It is more a military thing than just Navy. AF was really hot on safety. No rings on the flight line was pretty much a hard rule. My wife was in the AF when I met and married her and she said she wanted all appendages attached so remove the ring at work for safety. Hers was cut off her finger years later in the ER after fracturing a finger playing volleyball at a picnic and swelling did not allow removal the normal way. Now no one wears rings around our house.
    JD 4720 - 400CX FEL, Woods BB-720 Brush Bull and BH90X backhoe, Salsco 6210XT PTO Chipper, Farmi 501 Logging Winch, Bo-Dozer Grapple, LP RBT4096, Cammond Road grader/leveler and Rankin Trash Forks

Default Re: Wearing rings

As a youngster, I wore a class ring and a wedding band. But on December 29, 1965, my partner that night hit a tree head on. totalled the car, and almost totalled us. At the hospital that night, someone removed my rings (Thank Goodness) before my hands swelled too much. The impact had broken my seat belt so my hands had hit the dash. Anyway, it was a month before the swelling went down enough that I could get those rings back on, and that's when I decided to put them away. My job made it necessary to wear a wrist watch, but I haven't worn any other "jewelry" since.
    Bird

We always advise beginning beekeepers NOT to wear rings when working on hives until they know how they react to stings.
    Some people's arm and hands swell up like a baloon. A ring could spell disaster.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Bottom line: Rings are OK for a cocktail party or maybe an office worker, but for anyone who makes a living with his hands or has any kind of an active job or around anything electrical (or even bee-keeping it seems) Rings are just bad news, and liable to get you hurt.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Elite Member
    Tractor
    1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.

Bird, I applaud you for wearing a seat belt in 1965. Probably wasn't very cool back then and I'm suprised the car even had them.

mark
    red tractor
    blue tractor
    green tractor
    orange tractor
    too many impliments to list

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by mjarrels View Post
    Bird, I applaud you for wearing a seat belt in 1965. Probably wasn't very cool back then and I'm suprised the car even had them.

mark
    Bird is my hero!!!
    When I grow up, I want to be just like him!!!
    (instead of the old crotchety SOB I am)
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Quote Originally Posted by mjarrels View Post

mark
    Mark, I bought my first showroom new car in 1962; an Ausitn-Healey Sprite. In those days, I guess most cars didn't come with seat belts, but we sold them in the auto parts store and I installed them myself in the Sprite, and I've been wearing them ever since.

I started on the police department in 1964 and I know the 1963 cars had seat belts, but even the 1965 we were in the night of the big crash, there was no shoulder belt and no retractor on the seat belts. And of course there was no requirement that we wear them; only a recommendation. The problem was that the belts sometimes fell outside the car and the doors were shut on them. So sometimes our seat belts were a bit worn and ragged, and I'm sure the one I was wearing that night, in a car that was near the end of its life in the fleet anyway, was a bit frayed and weakened, and that was why it broke. However, it was still strong enough that I was black and blue for a long time right across where that belt had been.
    Bird

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Bird is my hero!!!
    When I grow up, I want to be just like him!!!
    (instead of the old crotchety SOB I am)
    Surely you jest.
    Bird

Silver Member

When I was a mechanic I never wore a watch and took of my wedding ring. After moving too a supervisor position I started wearing the ring again. Bad idea, one day I got "hands on" and reached in the back of a tight battery compartment and got my ring across battery post and frame. When they say gold is the best conductor, they aren't kidding. No major injury to me but blew some nice little divots in my ring and wife was not happy!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    B434 ,V 700 and 1086

Quote Originally Posted by Stihlrunner View Post
    When I was a mechanic I never wore a watch and took of my wedding ring. After moving too a supervisor position I started wearing the ring again. Bad idea, one day I got "hands on" and reached in the back of a tight battery compartment and got my ring across battery post and frame. When they say gold is the best conductor, they aren't kidding. No major injury to me but blew some nice little divots in my ring and wife was not happy!
    My job is a desk job taking parts orders in a small factory ,but I have worked for the company about 10 years so this particular day I was on the Fab. floor working as an auditor doing recounts during inventory week ,you can never be 100% sure where your hands may be needed.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast