Wearing rings

/ Wearing rings #11  
It is more a military thing than just Navy. AF was really hot on safety. No rings on the flight line was pretty much a hard rule. My wife was in the AF when I met and married her and she said she wanted all appendages attached so remove the ring at work for safety. Hers was cut off her finger years later in the ER after fracturing a finger playing volleyball at a picnic and swelling did not allow removal the normal way. Now no one wears rings around our house.

/ Wearing rings #12  
As a youngster, I wore a class ring and a wedding band. But on December 29, 1965, my partner that night hit a tree head on. totalled the car, and almost totalled us. At the hospital that night, someone removed my rings (Thank Goodness) before my hands swelled too much. The impact had broken my seat belt so my hands had hit the dash. Anyway, it was a month before the swelling went down enough that I could get those rings back on, and that's when I decided to put them away. My job made it necessary to wear a wrist watch, but I haven't worn any other "jewelry" since.

/ Wearing rings #13  
We always advise beginning beekeepers NOT to wear rings when working on hives until they know how they react to stings.
Some people's arm and hands swell up like a baloon. A ring could spell disaster.

/ Wearing rings #14  
Bottom line: Rings are OK for a cocktail party or maybe an office worker, but for anyone who makes a living with his hands or has any kind of an active job or around anything electrical (or even bee-keeping it seems:shocked:) Rings are just bad news, and liable to get you hurt.

James K0UA

/ Wearing rings #15  
Bird, I applaud you for wearing a seat belt in 1965. Probably wasn't very cool back then and I'm suprised the car even had them.

mark

/ Wearing rings #16  
Bird, I applaud you for wearing a seat belt in 1965. Probably wasn't very cool back then and I'm suprised the car even had them.

mark

Bird is my hero!!!
When I grow up, I want to be just like him!!!
(instead of the old crotchety SOB I am)

/ Wearing rings #17  

mark

Mark, I bought my first showroom new car in 1962; an Ausitn-Healey Sprite. In those days, I guess most cars didn't come with seat belts, but we sold them in the auto parts store and I installed them myself in the Sprite, and I've been wearing them ever since.

I started on the police department in 1964 and I know the 1963 cars had seat belts, but even the 1965 we were in the night of the big crash, there was no shoulder belt and no retractor on the seat belts. And of course there was no requirement that we wear them; only a recommendation. The problem was that the belts sometimes fell outside the car and the doors were shut on them. So sometimes our seat belts were a bit worn and ragged, and I'm sure the one I was wearing that night, in a car that was near the end of its life in the fleet anyway, was a bit frayed and weakened, and that was why it broke. However, it was still strong enough that I was black and blue for a long time right across where that belt had been.:laughing:

/ Wearing rings #19  
When I was a mechanic I never wore a watch and took of my wedding ring. After moving too a supervisor position I started wearing the ring again. Bad idea, one day I got "hands on" and reached in the back of a tight battery compartment and got my ring across battery post and frame. When they say gold is the best conductor, they aren't kidding. No major injury to me but blew some nice little divots in my ring and wife was not happy!

/ Wearing rings
When I was a mechanic I never wore a watch and took of my wedding ring. After moving too a supervisor position I started wearing the ring again. Bad idea, one day I got "hands on" and reached in the back of a tight battery compartment and got my ring across battery post and frame. When they say gold is the best conductor, they aren't kidding. No major injury to me but blew some nice little divots in my ring and wife was not happy!
My job is a desk job taking parts orders in a small factory ,but I have worked for the company about 10 years so this particular day I was on the Fab. floor working as an auditor doing recounts during inventory week ,you can never be 100% sure where your hands may be needed.