Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 4310 eHydro, JD 322

Default Re: Wearing rings

When I was a mechanic we told a new guy not to wear his ring and he said"This is a symbol of my love for my wife". We said ok. After he got back from the ER a few weeks later. One of guys said to him "Now you have a ring you cannot take off". He grounded the ring the battery and it got so hot the burn was almost to the bone.

Veteran Member tungularafishcamp's Avatar
    Tractor
    kubota L2800, 1/2 of a L48

I put my ring on when my wife gave it to me many years ago, that is many years of commercial fishing, bush living, construction, and a little rough necking thrown in for good measure. I still have most all of my fingers and the ring only comes off @ once a year, to replace the leather string that holds it around my neck.
    Rick

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK 27 shuttle

I currently wear a ring but think about it daily as far as safety goes(never did before I got married). My one uncle lost most of his finger while coaching soccer. he was trying to hang a net on the goal and it got snagged, bye bye finger. it can happen anywhere, home, work, even out drinking with your buddies. As has been mentioned you never know. I often wonder if it something I should change about my habits, but there again habits are hard to break.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by tungularafishcamp View Post
    I put my ring on when my wife gave it to me many years ago, that is many years of commercial fishing, bush living, construction, and a little rough necking thrown in for good measure. I still have most all of my fingers and the ring only comes off @ once a year, to replace the leather string that holds it around my neck.
    Good one Rick, hope that leather string is not too stout, or it could get hung up on something and you could wind up looking like this guy I invited to "dinner" "

James K0UA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_20121110_090543_622-jpg  
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230D

One of the conditions of employment where I worked, when in the shop no rings and wear safety glasses. I think they've expanded that to hearing protection also now.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Anything on my hands that can get them snagged is something that I won't use. If I'm around rotating equipment I won't wear rings or gloves.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Veteran Member tungularafishcamp's Avatar
    Tractor
    kubota L2800, 1/2 of a L48

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    Good one Rick, hope that leather string is not too stout, or it could get hung up on something and you could wind up looking like this guy I invited to "dinner" "

James K0UA
    I have broken it a couple of times, that's y I went with leather it is strong enuff that you can feel it if it breaks and yet easy enuff to break so you dont get hurt. Speaking of hurt remind me not to ever stop by your place for dinner James if I am "hanging out" in Missouri might not get to enjoy dessert
    Rick

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by tungularafishcamp View Post
    I have broken it a couple of times, that's y I went with leather it is strong enuff that you can feel it if it breaks and yet easy enuff to break so you dont get hurt. Speaking of hurt remind me not to ever stop by your place for dinner James if I am "hanging out" in Missouri might not get to enjoy dessert
    Aw come on down for dinner Rick, and bring a salmon!

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti LK3054xs

Quote Originally Posted by JJZ 109 View Post
    Fortunately, she's very understanding and went along with me and never pressed the issue about me even buying one to wear when not working.
    I never wore jewelery of any sort before we were married (for all the reasons mentioned above), the few times I have worn a ring or watch I've found it rather uncomfortable. Fortunately, my wife is OK with that, though she did buy me one for the wedding, and for special occasions (though if she doesn't remind me to wear it, I "forget") .

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

One of the most famous makeup / special effects artists in Hollywood is Dick Smith. He has 4 fingers. He got married and then was working on location. Jumped out of a stake bed truck (Like a 350 or larger with wooden guard rails on the back) and left his finger behind. He is / was a brilliant artist and not at all impared by the accident.

That said, I stopped wearing my ring about a month after the wedding. Saddly you get propositioned a lot less without the ring.
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast